Third Eye Blind review by Third Eye Blind

• Released: Apr 8, 1997
Third Eye Blind: Third Eye Blind

This is Third Eye Blind's first CD, which is self-titled. It was was released in the early '90s. It has a pop-rock feel to it, but it is definatly more rock based than many other popular '90s groups, such as REM or Filter. Third Eye Blind are very talented musicians. The 4 members of the band all play several different instruments on the album. The guitars are frequently tuned to open D, DADGAD, etc. adding a rare, yet pleasing flavor. This CD has numerous hits, from "Losing A Whole Year" to "Graduate" to one of the biggest songs in the '90s, "How's It Gonna Be." But you will also fall in love with the heavier "London" and the peaceful and graceful "I Want You." The CD ends on "God Of Wine," a showcase of Third Eye Blind's true talent. And for you who are conserned about recording quality, it sounds very crisp and full.

Third Eye Blind are great at mixing up songs that are fun, to serious, to emotional. Third Eye Blind is great music for chilling with friends, or at a party. The lyrics don't demand your attention, but some consideration can be enlightening. The lead singer also plays guitar, and he is very good at keeping his voice unique from the insturments. His voice is impressive, and his signature is a certain whine that adds character. It also is one of those things were when you hear it you know it is him. He sings a good balance of everything from soft singing, to basicly talking, and even some screams.

This is my favorite '90s pop album. It is now considered alternative, but I do not name it along with Nirvana and the Chili Peppers. I like it much better than REM, Filter, Collective Soul, Candlebox, etc. "Losing A Whole Year" is a great hit that your friends will know, but it isn't overplayed. "Gradute" is a great song, very fun to listen to or cover at a show. "How's It Gonna Be" is kind of worn out because of being overplayed so much. But I find it is the only song on the album I skip. If you are a musician, be sure to get this CD and learn the songs on it, they make for wonderful covers. Most people will know them and sing along. Also, the songs sound amazing and aren't too hard to play if you are a decent musician. This is a CD I always keep close, I love it!