Third Eye Blind review by Third Eye Blind

• Released: Apr 8, 1997
Third Eye Blind: Third Eye Blind

From start to finish this is one of the most competent albums I have ever listened to. It's exiting and has so much variation, the album is like a 13 track anthem to life. Stephan Jenkins voice is so brilliant, and his vocal range is staggering. Stand out track, or at least one of them, is 'Narcolepsy', which begins as a slow soulful track, before errupting into a pop punk rock classic, with a driving beat, before breaking down again at the end. Every track on this album could be a #1 single, it's just that damn brilliant. 'The Background' is a song with so much maturity, the kind you would find on a bands seventh album, not their first. 'Motorcycle Drive By' is another acoustic track with a Third Eye Blind slant, in that it erupts into this another anthemic tune half way through. Pure brilliance.

What can I say? Heartfelt, passionate, meaningful, and sang with a sincere believability. They aren't the immediate simple lyrics you might find on a Fall Out Boy album, they're lyrics that have to be thought about, built on many levels. They may not feel like they apply to you at first, but when you understand them a bit better, they become more and more personal to you.

This for me is like a 'best of' because for me, this is the best album Third Eye Blind have put out, despite it being their first. It's classic after classic, and should be given a lot more credit. What's even more incredible is that this album is now nearly 12 years old, and still sounds modern and fresh. That is the sign of a band who can write songs.