Thirsty Merc review by Thirsty Merc

• Released: Aug 16, 2004
  • Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Thirsty Merc: Thirsty Merc

Thirsty Merc are an Australian pop/rock band, known for combining strong melodies, quirky lyrics & fuzzy guitars after they established themselves in the Australian mainstream in mid 2004. The fifteen track LP is an excellent indication of the talent the quartet have, lead by singer-songwriter, pianist & guitarist Rai Thistlethwayte. The album also featured multiple hit singles, with "Someday, Someday" & "In the summertime" gathering more than enough attention for the four-piece.

Rai Thistlethwayte's lyrics are not neccessarily cryptic, but are often humorous, telling stories of when the band were still fighting it out amongst the broad crowd of unsigned bands in songs such as "In the summertime" & "I Wish Somebody Would Build A Bridge". Rai's voice will often defer between an emotional, higher-ranged howl, and a lower, speedy speech type voice, which is often used to fit in extra words into a melody (which is demonstrated in "Emancipate myself"). This leads the listener to come to the conclusion that Rai has a sense of unpredictability about his voice, which is generally well-recieved.

"Thirsty Merc" is full of pop-rock at it's best, & relates well with the theme "Coming Of Age". Notable tracks include, "My Completeness", "Someday, Someday", "I Wish Somebody Would Build A Bridge" and also "Baby Tell Me I'm The Only One". If this album had been miraculously stolen or swiped from my collection, I can't find a reason why I wouldn't have to replace it.