Misfortunes review by This Is Hell

• Released: Feb 19, 2008
This Is Hell: Misfortunes

Misfortunes is the latest album from this is hell, a hardcore band from Long Island, new york. this album sort of is a departure from their last album and EPs but not far enough as too turn fans off. every song is really hard and really fast, the drums, guitar and bass are all done really well, the musicianship of the record is amazing. But with that being said, the album kinda falls into the problem that every hardcore/metalcore/metal band, that after awhile all the songs beging to sound the same, you really have to listen to every song in detail to be able to tell the difference, that's not to say that the songs are bad, you just have to listen and pay attention because songs fade in and out of each other.

The lyrics are very well written and fit very well into the framework of the music and the overall feeling of the song. Being this is hell, the lyrics talk about desperation, loneliness, loss of beliefs and anger at the world, but dispite dark lyrics, the way that they are put with the music is amazing and escapes the whole "woe is me" style that so many shitty bands have fallen into. Travis Reily(the lead singer) does and amazing job at screaming yet still singing the songs, and there are a lot of gang vocals on this album to help make parts of the songs better. But as before, the because this is hell is a hardcore band, the screaming might turn people off and make it hard for people to get into the music. But overall the lyrics and singing are amazing and fit into the music perfectly.

Overall I think this album is amazing, and I would urge anyone to buy this or past albums. It makes me so happy to hear a band like this is hell just come in and destroy everything, just when you think hardcore is dead, this is hell releases Misfortunes and gives me hope that there is still amazing hardcore band out there. The biggest problem that I had with the album is what I said before, that songs might sound the same and run together too much, but when you hear the great tracks you can tell, songs like "remnants" "you are the antithesis" "last days Campaign" and "Resuscitate" have the power to blow your face off. overall an awesome album.