Dead Years review by This or the Apocalypse

• Released: Sep 25, 2012
This or the Apocalypse: Dead Years

The sound on this album is incredible. Everything seems very clear but still has an immense heaviness. The guitars have developed a lot from "Haunt What's Left" while they had an already pretty good sound on that album it sounded a bit digital to me. On this album it all sounds much more organic and natural. The distortion got less but at the same time they got a lot heavier. Another big change are the vocals. Ricky Armellino really worked on his technique which gets quite obvious on listening through "Dead Years". He does some wicked growls and awesome screams and manages to cover a wide range of vocals. Also the incorporation of other instruments and sounds was accomplished very nicely. They are definitely noticeable, but don't overshadow the real instruments. Overall I would give the sound a whole 10 because it is really good produced and overall just nice to listen to.

The lyrics are basically about two topics. They are either about politics or personal stuff. Even though I think that these two topics get kind of old in metal and especially metalcore, which I would count This Or The Apocalypse to, I think they accompany the music very well and fit the whole style of the instrumentation and. As I said earlier Ricky's vocals improved a lot, his growls make the breakdowns much heavier and even his clean singing got much better giving album a new level of professionalism and distancing themselves from other metalcore bands whose singers sound straight taken out of a boyband. One thing which I would like to say is that there was a very weird Panic At The Disco'ish part in the middle of "You Own No One But You" which in my opinion doesn't fit into the whole sound and theme of the album at all.

I can't really compare it anything because of the bands I listen to there is no band that sounds anything like This Or The Apocalypse. I think the easiest thing to do would be comparing it to the bands previous albums, but as it sounds a lot different it isn't as easy as it seams. But in my opinion this is a very good sign. The band has evolved very much in the past years and I think they have finally found their sound. Which is complex riffs, heavy breakdowns and strong choruses which could easily be mistaken as anthems. The most impressive songs from the Album are easily the opener "Hell Praiser", the first single "In Wolves" and my personal favorite "Kill 'Em With Guidance". I love about this album that it incorporates everything the band has done on their previous efforts and simply takes it to a whole new level. I love the new vocals, the new melodies and the sound. I don't really hate anything about it, but the part in "You Own No One But You" really bothers me. If it were stolen I would definitely buy it again, just to support the band.

captain_blood
    I don't care what people say about this band or metalcore, they put on an awesome ****ing show.
    EpiExplorer
    I'd rather have the apocalypse.
    LightxGrenade
    I liked their previous album much more. The riffs where much more memorable and so damn catchy. I'll keep this album on rotation, see if it grows on me but so far nothing has made me play repeat after the song ended. Maybe once I get to hear the album with some headphones on so I can hear every little thing then I'll feel differently.
    svelle
    took some listens for me aswell to get it growing on me, at first i thought "meh..." but now i think it f*cking rocks.
    bastards
    This album tops Haunt Whats Left. HWL was more raw sounding but this is just sick metal. Then again Between the Buried and me is tomorrow so we'll see what I like next week
    Sir_Taffey
    Personally I think this album is brilliant. The guitars are constantly weaving in and out underneath passionate vocals. I personally can feel the songs emotionally which is something no other band does for me. The drums are tasteful. Not just every other bands bland blast beats. The songs about politics I can skip over granted. But the songs about introspection really make me stop and listen and see myself. In wolves, Americans, Kill 'em with guidance, gaunt and fierce, Hate the ones you love, a hard branch to snap. Most of the songs on the album that have lyrics and guitar work to have me put the album on repeat
    dfgdfpwewe
    Wonderful. share a website with you, -- mcaf.ee/q1i0h -- Believe you will love it