Who Are You Now? review by This Providence

• Released: Mar 17, 2009
This Providence: Who Are You Now?

This Providence's 3rd album touches on a lot of the best points about pop-rock music today and that has good and bad connotations. At no point during Who Are You Now? Will you feel that the Fueled By Ramen recording artist is about to take the music scene by storm, but there are enough catchy tracks on the latest album that it will have a guaranteed audience. At times This Providence feels a bit like a guy-fronted version of Paramore, but without quite as many high-energy tracks. It all adds up to a likeable enough album, but again, it still feels slightly predictable and probably won't blow any minds. Although the bulk of the new album does lean toward a more low-key, pop-rock vibe, This Providence still shines when the occasional up-tempo song does arise. The first single That Girl's A Trick is easily one of the best offerings on Who Are You Now?, with a funky intro that thrives on the rhythm section. If you liked Franz Ferdinand's Take Me Out, you'll likely enjoy the arrangement that drives That Girl's A Trick. This Providence's track isn't quite as impressive, but it still has a lot of infectious aspects that will have many a listener singing along. Another standout is Squeaking Wheels and White Light, which hit's it's peak when the bass line comes to the forefront. The track gradually builds, and later there's a nice percussion line somewhat similar to The Bravery's Honest Mistake. As was mentioned earlier, easy-on-the-ears love songs do seem to rule the CD. They're not all full-out ballads, but a good number of them could aptly be called mellow. Out of all these particular selections, it's the first track Sure As Hell that makes the biggest impression. This is not only a true ballad, it's one of the most emotionally daring on the entire record. While the other songs are shaped to be radio hits, Sure As Hell is a melancholy, simply arranged heartbreaker. When it comes to the love songs, it does seem that This Providence makes a bigger statement when they strip everything down. Chasing The Wind isn't completely devoid of instruments or production value, but it builds quietly. A good part of the beginning is devoted to the vocals and a quietly strummed acoustic, which is nicely enhanced by subtle electric guitar lines coming from way in the background.

If you're not a fan of songs that accentuate feelings and emotions, you're not likely going to connect with Who Are You Now? That being said, This Providence does relay the topic of love fairly well. Between tracks like Sure As Hell (which features the repeating line I still wanted you) and the acoustic ballad Sand In Your Shoes (We fell in love with the windows rolled downYour silhouette is like some heavily ghost). It's all very sentimental content and pretty sweet most of the time, but again, that might not be what every listener wants.

This Providence does seem to take the band approach rather than drawing too much attention to one particular instrument during the CD. Likewise, Dan Young is a capable vocalist who has a pretty impressive range, but he never overpowers a song. A lot of the material seems to be emotionally driven, and the lyrical content is given a big priority. The adjective sweet often comes to mind when I was listening to Who Are You Now?, and there is certainly an audience for love-driven songs. It's not the most interesting or new CD out right now, but there are also more than a few songs that seem (for better or worse) Billboard hits.

James-Taylor
    wow theres more comments then i thaught there would be for this prov,this is great their finally getting noticed and to the people who diss them, you don't accidently come across this providence you still have to make an effort to look for them on websites such as UG so cheers for showing interest in such a good band, becuase every band needs wankers like yourself to hate on them which in return gives the band exposure. great album, great band and now come to Australia.
    xXguitard00dXx
    To all you haters out there, what's so bad about them? music is music and it comes in all different genres and styles and this is one of them. Just because it's not your type of thing or doesn't contain hard or talented guitar doesn't mean you should act like your to good for it lol. there are people out there that enjoy this kind of stuff (I'm not really one of them though) but good on 'em for giving those people something to they like to listen to. I'm probably going to get flamed or banned maybe but I really don't care because I'm sick of the most of UG acting like this I mean far out grow up sometime would you's.
    Ktool The Girth
    PrettyxOdd wrote: You guys are rating it one star because they look bad in that picture? I thought you were supposed to be judging an album on how it sounds...not how the band looks.
    I know right. Its funny that the same users that make fun of this band will say what you just said when someone makes fun of their favorite band.
    cloud041089
    Brothajesus wrote: wow you people are retarded.. a pop-punk band looking like a pop-punk band.. who knew? this providence is amazing. followed them since before they were signed by FBR. much love
    i wouldnt call them pop punk.. i guess you could. but i wouldnt put them in the same category as green day or blink 182. they're better than that. so they should look better than that. haha.
    Scourge441
    Checked. I don't mind a few comments about how they look, but please keep the discussion about the album.
    dorklord101
    lol disney chanel. i do have to admit those people on disney channel im jealous of, man their rich and covered in girls and all they have to do is pretend to play instruments, and their set for the rest of your life man i wish i was HANNA MONTANNA
    Brothajesus
    Do Re Mi
    Alexishxc1337
    yeah, users on this site are sickeningly shallow. and this album is not as good as their self titled, but it's good. and the first track really reminds me of Brand New's Tautou, the way the lines repeat, the soft/clean guitar, the fade-in/fadeout, the self harmonizing Dan does, it's all pretty similar.
    PrettyxOdd
    cloud041089
    jesus christitties. THAT's what this band looks like? they'll never sound the same to me again...
    grnday1236
    brownbread wrote: Pretty_Much wrote: Peres.T.Peanut wrote: ordinary_story wrote: make that a +2... +3.... +4... +5...
    ...they look like the jonas brothers on weed...
    hnfan4eva
    these guys are kinda new. i saw them with relient k, house of heroes and ludo on the uncle tour and they were good. i bought their cd and loved it. idk why you guys are all commenting about their hair...how bout the music? im gonna buy theyre cd. their last album impressed me.
    rockfan7
    Ive seen these guys twice live (I actually didn't know they were playing I just went for the headliners) any way they are great, as far as music like that goes it's pretty good.