Drop Out Of Life Review

This Time Next Year: Drop Out Of Life
Released: Sep 27, 2011
Genre: Pop Punk
Label: Equal Vision Records
This new This Time Next Year's album, entitled "Drop Out Of Life", brings back their uptempo style and lyrics
 4.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Drop Out Of Life Reviewed by: JoshDropD, on september 29, 2011

Sound: This Time Next Year have released many recordings including both albums and EP's. "Road Maps And Heart Attacks", though a little on the unknown side (opinion), being their most recent, really brought them up with their singles "Alex In Wonderland" and "New Sensation". This new album, entitled "Drop Out Of Life", brings back their uptempo style and lyrics that shout the message, "Drop what ever you are doing and go do want you want to do... For real!" I feel as though this album with the musicality and lyrical talent relays that message very well. "Drop Out Of Life" ("DOOL" from now on) was produced by New Found Glory's own Chad Gilbert. "DOOL", along with This Time Next Year in general, reminds listeners where they get their roots from. This entire album reminds me of NFG's self-titled album and their release "Sticks And Stones". Nevertheless, "DOOL" will satisfy any fan of pop and any fan of punk. // 9

Lyrics: TTNY's lyricist, Pete Dowdalls, sings quite well. He writes these lyrics very well, too. The first track, "Drop Out Of Life", relays the entire album message (see Sound above). To say that this singer has a style of his would be a bit of an overstatement however, to say he doesn't would be an understatement. For the first time in TTNY's short history, they sound negative (only in one song, though). But that negative bit of a song makes me think that they can switch styles and that Pete can switch, as well. The lyrics are powerful, driven with a big heart, and perfected by some good NFG talent. // 9

Overall Impression: I downloaded this album from Amazon; no one could really steal it. If I owned a CD or vinyl, I would buy it again, most definitely. The last song ends with a harmony that rings in my ears every time I even think of it. Talk about impression, huh? When you get right down to it, anyone who is a fan of New Found Glory, and really, who isn't, should go buy this and support this group. They may not be as memorable in the next 5 years, but for now, they are definitely a must-have in the pop-punk genre. // 9

Comments