To Remember The Forgotten Review

7.4
 7.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
To Remember The Forgotten Reviewed by: 77juh, on august 03, 2015

Sound: Well, how shall I describe this album and the sound? First of all I will tell you, this album is an debut solo album from the guitarist Thobias Wiklund and includes eight tracks both instrumental songs and vocal tracks. I first bought this album and found this artist for around two month ago, the music genre is melodic hard rock and each song on this album has its own character, influenced with classical music in some songs and folk music on track four ("I Speak From My Heart").

I do like the combination with great vocal, guitarplaying, violin and conga on track four "I Speak From My Heart" and Hammond organ on track three "Guardian Angel." Thobias who play all guitars and composer of all tracks on this album have an interesting sound and guitar playing. So from "Wisdom Leader," "To Remember the Forgotten" (instrumental), "Guardian Angel," "I Speak From My Heart" (instrumental), "Everything I Want," "When the Sun Will Rise" (instrumental), "She Has Returned," "Goodbye My Friend" (instrumental) it is a journey through different sound that feels exciting, this album is a must have in your collection. // 8

Lyrics: "Guardian Angel" is my favorite when it comes to lyrics - with beautiful words and an nice chorus. The lead singer of this album is Peo Pettersson, who some may remember from fronting Leviticus fourth album from 1989, "Knights of Heaven," and comeback live album from 2003, "Live at Bobfest."

In the opening track "Wisdom Leader" Pettersson is singing in a higher register and in the chorus he reminds me of the singer Mark Boals. The lyrics speak for themselves, it's mostly about life and feelings. I do like them, but I would like to see more variation. // 7

Overall Impression: "To Remember the Forgotten" adds up to a successful debut solo release from Thobias Wiklund. I like the mixture of influences and that he used instruments as violin and Hammond organ - but the guitar riffs and solos is what I like the most. My personal favourite songs are "Wisdom Leader" and "Guardian Angel." But I feel the album could use two more songs, it is a bit short at just 8 songs but average song length is around 5 minutes - equates to a well rounded 40 minutes. I would recommend this album for those who are into guitar music, and I'm looking forward to hear the next album. // 8

Comments