The Eraser review by Thom Yorke

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
Thom Yorke: The Eraser

This is an eery solo debut from Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke. Inspired by a request to perform a track for the new film 'A Scanner Darkly', Yorke re-explores his electronica side. As a fan of Radiohead's 'Kid A' album, another of Yorke's electronica outputs, I was a little biased towards the album. But 'The Eraser' has out passed all my expectations. Though only nine tracks long, the album has a very moving atmosphere, shifting the listener's mind state within a few short minutes. The sound is one somewhat dark, but what really envelops the listener is the droning under tones and over dubs. The backing vocals, also provided by Yorke, enter the brain and alter it's chemistry. Achieving states of almost narcotic distance from the world.

Yorke excells in Lyrics and their expression as always. His high, almost whiney voice, increasing the tension caused by the music. His lyrics both straight forward and metaphorical at the same time, sometimes almost in the language of the equivocator. The lyrics match the tone of each song perfectly as Yorke proves his songwriting skills once more. His voice complementing every word and emotion.

This is as good a solo debut as would be expected from someone who's been in the business for so long, but better than most breakaway solo artists. The whole album is masterfully produced. 'Black Swan' and 'Harrowdown Hill' explain my points better than I ever could.

SethMegadefan
    Gman400 wrote: Umm...no I don't HAVE to appreciate it because I use to respect their music and it's degenerated IMO into crap. Seriously, you know Thom sits in the studio just fooling around with sounds right? That's cool if you like it and you think it evokes emotion or something, but to me it's just sounds and doesn't take any skill whatsoever (actually I know that for a fact because there's almost no instruments being played on Kid A.)
    Wow, Gman, I never knew you felt this way about Radiohead. Kid A happens to be my favorite album pretty much of all time... I don't understand how one who's a Radiohead fan could possibly not like it. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but their music hasn't degenerated into crap. They've pretty much stayed consistent, if not gotten better over the years. Kid A's just an amazing feat of music, in my perspective. I guess an opinion's an opinion...
    tbarrettl
    I like this album and The Voice and Lyrics of Thom, still being a fan this is hard to digest after Amnesiac and Kid-A.
    tbarrettl
    Hard to Digest but not Bad and Even can be Catchy, A Few Weeks ago FYE was advertising this album FYI.