The Eraser review by Thom Yorke

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
Thom Yorke: The Eraser

Possibly the album that saved Radiohead? Without this dark, sinister solo album from Thom Yorke, Radiohead may well have gone their separate ways, so even if the album is terrible it's probably allowed more genius to arrive. Lucky it isn't bad, in fact, it's very good. 'The Eraser', expect thousands of Radiohead 'fans' to say, yeah it's brilliant when in fact they think it's terrible. It's an album which won't suit everyone, many tracks sounding like they would fit, not in 'Kid A', but in 'Amnesiac'. The album lacks that edge that we sore in 'Kid A' so they wouldn't fit in but has Thom Yorke lost his touch? By no means! Overall it does feel like a collection of songs not used after the 'Kid A' sessions but this doesn't mean the songs aren't good. Powerful piano and electronica makes the album not just another solo project that has no real soul and lacks the power of a full band, this may be because Thom played pretty much everything in the 'Kid A' sessions but also, his Radiohead colleague Johnny Greenwood has done him a few favours during recording!

Lyrically, it keeps coming back to one theme, politics. Most noticeably in 'Harrowdown Hill' and 'The Eraser', Thom chanting The more you try to erase me, the more I appear seems to fit in with the way of politics in modern day Britain. The lyrics are brilliant though, flowing perfectly, Did I fall or was I pushed? leaves a brilliant effect on the listener, the album makes you think, what sort of country are we living in? Only a genius could sway the opinions of millions through music, so that means Thom Yorke is a genius. That's not really a surprise though!

Overall the album is good, noticeable songs being 'The Eraser', 'Black Swan' and 'Harrowdown Hill'. It does lack that traditional edge that Radiohead has. It's something you can put on and forget you're listening to it. I have fallen asleep to this album many a time, it's soothing, relaxing and a great listen. If you don't have it, buy it. It isn't the best album of the year, it isn't trying to be, it's a middle-aged man letting out things that he can't do in his band, but luckily, this middle-aged man is a genius!