Come Again Review

Thornley: Come Again
Released: May 11, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Post-Grunge
Come Again is a slick, straightforward post-grunge effort with an ear for melody and slight twinges of psychedelia.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.5
 9.3
 9.7
Come Again Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 16, 2005

Sound: The sound for Thornley's CD is amazing. Their sound is unique. Comparing them to other bands would be hard to do. They have a different style of tuning that is rarely seen within any other band. They are a Canadian band, doing their thing, and for that, I commend them. The music they have created, for this CD, was truly worth the effot. The best songs on the album are, in my opinion, "Falling To Pieces," "Beautiful," "Clever" and "Lies That I Beleive." Not only do they have some wicked guitar solo's, I must commend the drums and bass as well. The Drums fit every song! Every solo by every instrument fits the song that it's in perfectly. The band is just too good to be true. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have some serious feel to it. They aren't exactly angry, but, for some of the songs on the album, they were written with an aggressive tone. All the lyrics suit the sound in the songs so well. When Ian Thornley lays down his vocals along with his guitar, he truly makes some beautiful music. His voice can't really be compared to anothers. You would have to do some serious research trying to find someone with the same sound and pitch in their, in their voice, to match Ian Thornley's. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other album I have heard within the past 4 years. This band is truly, fricken amazing. Most impressive songs are the ones that were listed above, plain and simple, even though all the songs on the album are good. There isn't one song, on their album, that I don't like. The things I love the most about it are the sound, how loud it is, the vocals, and the drums. If I was in a bad mood, I would pop in the CD and just forget about what I was mad about in the first place. I don't hate anything about this album. Not one thing, and for myself thats hard to come by. If Lost this album, I would hit myself over it and if it was stolen, I would track down the person. The band is too good for that kind of stuff to happen to it. I would definenty buy it again if it got stolen/lost. // 10

Come Again Reviewed by: soundrock31, on august 02, 2004

Sound: In a vast and yet bizzare world of music we live into today, rock is truely devided into many sub-catagories. Post-grunge may be the sub catagory for those who realize that nu-metal has lost its sharp edge, garage rock is stale, and emo is just as dimension-less as Brittney Spears. Yet most post-grunge fans are people who can only pray that one day we may get another Alice In Chains. After listening to Thornley's debut album Come Again, I beleive that one day, Thornley may one day be one of the next great alternative bands that many have been waiting for. Thornley's sound has a rare mix of two things that almost no band (except for maybe Audioslave) has, quality sound, with originality. Unlike most post-grunge bands, you can't compare Thornley's sound to any one particular band, and lead singer Ian Thornley has one of the most inovative voices I have ever heared in music in general. // 10

Lyrics: I can't really express the lyrics of their songs in great detail, I can only say that the are really good. I personally had a deep lyrical connection with the tracks "So Far, So Good", "Keep a Good Man Down" and "Easy Comes." // 10

Overall Impression: But before you buy this album thinking that it is the Choosen One, keep in mind that the last few tracks sound a little repetitive, and many people can't stand that in an album. Yet I still think that this is a really solid album, and hopefully, if the timing is right, Thornley can be a solid alt. band with good hit and records. So if your gonna buy one alternative album this year, buy Velvet Revolver's Contraband, but if you want to buy two, I'd recomend you buy this album. // 8

Come Again Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 03, 2004

Sound: Excellent band, tight, talented, well crafted music. Basically original, little bits of Soundgarden, Zepplin, Alice and newer melodic rock sounds mixed in perfectly without sounding like a rip-off. This lead singer/soungwriter is more than talented. // 8

Lyrics: I'm not a lyric guy, I never hear the words. My apologies to the sensitive music listener. His voice is smooth and powerful, with enough of a scream to do the job when necessary. // 8

Overall Impression: I saw Ian Thornely lead Big Wreck on tour a few years back and I was blow away by his talent on the guitar and as a lead singer. This guys is a hidden talent waiting to explode. I miss the experimentation of Big Wreck, the way their songs would drift off for a second to only come back for a solid finish. But this band is also quite good. The other person who reviewed this on 8/2/04 also summed it up very well, but his advice to buy Velvet Revolver over this album is not great advice. Contraband is very very average at best, nothing original on the entire album. (In fact I should save that for the contraband review page.) // 8

Come Again Reviewed by: division wall, on january 05, 2005

Sound: This band is the most talented band I have heard since the early '90s. The lead singer, Ian Thornley, was the front man of the highly praised canadian rock band, Big Wreck. Big Wreck gained critical acclaim because of it's art rock, while this album is art rock it sure delivers. Thornley is truely a gifted man when it comes to writing music, and in my opinion he has the best voice out of all the band out right now. He ranks very high on the all time list of unique vocalists in my opinion. This is a unique sounding band in an age where many rock bands sound the same. // 10

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are great. They aren't anything new, it's your typical rock lyrics but the way Thronley belts them out makes it a pleasure to listen to. The way Thornley sings the lyrics works really well with the music that he wrote. // 10

Overall Impression: I would honestly say that this is one of my favorite albums of all time. On a song for song basis there are no fillers, just one great rock song after another. The song that stands out to me the most is "The Lies That I Believe." This song has it all from two kick as guitar solos to a rememberable verse/chorus. I can not find anything wrong with this album and if it were lost I'd buy it again without thought. This album should have been huge but wasn't. It is disapointing to see talent like this not appreciated. // 10

Comments