The Thorns Review

artist: Thorns date: 01/27/2004 category: compact discs
Thorns: The Thorns
Released: May 20, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Melancholy, Earnest, Intimate, Gentle, Sentimental, Wistful, Reflective, Lush
Style: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock
 8.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Thorns Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 27, 2004

Sound: Well I'd have to say that this may be one of the best acoustic albums I've ever owned. The guitar is just excellent. The Thorns (Matthew Sweet, Pete Droge and Shawn Mullins) came together from their seperate music careers and put together an awesome variety of songs. It is mostly acoustic folk/rock, but there is also one or two more "heavy" electric songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good. Some songs are better than others, but "No Blue Sky" and "Think It Over" are among my faves. The lyrics go hand-in-hand with the music's style. The voices of these three musicians are absolutely impecable. They are all over the scale, and the harmonies are perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: I honestly can't think of a better acoustic album.....ever! I'm very surprised that The Thorns aren't better more well-known. The CD was at a very low price (I payed $13 Cdn!) and it was worth at least $25. Every song seems to be so impressive in its own way. Usually there are one or two songs on a CD that you don't really like. But all 13 tracks on this one are awesome. If this were stolen, I would buy another one in a second. I can't think of another group to compare them to, nobody else is quite like The Thorns. I can't say enough about this album. // 10

Comments