Oxygen : Inhale review by Thousand Foot Krutch

• Released: Aug 26, 2014
Thousand Foot Krutch: Oxygen : Inhale

After 2 years of "vacation on tour" one of the most well-known Christian rockers return with brand new record "Oxygen : Inhale." Following up success of mix-genre "The End Is Where We Begin" band decided to do it again. This time they are more focused on soft and warm rock-ballads, but, however, there are some pretty energetic and drive compositions like three opening songs "Like the Machine," "Untraveled Road," "Born This Way" and no. 4 track "Give It to Me." While being really drive and catchy they, except "Untraveled Road" (this one is also shows a great mix of rapping and singing, good beat and switch between stop an go parts), are really quickly become missed among other more unique and significant songs. However band choose "Born This Way" as the lead single and this choice is easy to understand: this song shows catchy and easy riffs and sounds really radio-friendly. Another part of songs are softer. Band do not use too much acoustic guitars in them and leave other instruments on their places with addition of piano in strings on some tracks, like in "In My Room." Album sounds bright and deep, but, however, about half of tracks can be really quickly become forgotten.

Mostly tracks can be divided in 2 groups. First one is about individuality of every person, others are love songs. Love songs sound really impressive due to impressive lyrics and high Trevor vocal. "Oxygen" is a great example of such really strong and emotional composition. This time Trevor McNeavan continue using of his vocal style from "The End Is Where We Begin" in drive tracks (which sounds impressive, but little more like pop-styles vocal) and more high vocal in soft songs, it sounds way more unusual, but, however, play its role where it needs and provides track emotional effort they need.

New album is softer than band's previous works, it would be a surprise for many TFK fans, but, however, this way it sounds very warm and leaves really warm feelings after listening. Maybe one more year of touring would give the band more stronger and less weak tracks, but the way things are album is still impressive and tracks "Untraveled Roads," "Set Me on Fire," "I See Red," "Light Up," "In My Room" and "Oxygen" are really worth to listen. The ones who are looking for a "TFK-style nu-metal" (and harder things) will be disappointed, the ones, who are ready to every TFK turn or love soft music, will be happy.

NABEF9
    SAY "BUT, HOWEVER" ONE MORE ****ING TIME and I swear by my pretty little bonnet that I will end you!
    MusicMan24
    After Welcome To The Masquerade and The End Is Where We Begin, I was very disappointed in this album. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a BAD listen, it's just that it doesn't really compare to their older stuff. It seems almost uninspired to me.
    wesmartin17
    Trevor said in an interview that it is going to be a 2 part album kind of thing, with exhale being all hard rock songs, sometime next year
    BLUE3UN
    if they had continued with the southern sound, they might have ended up sounding like The Almost, i think the ballads are still pretty good, though i would have liked a few more heavier songs. The album came off a little like Trevors side project FM Static but a little heavier. But the ballads let Trevors vocals shine and i thought he did an amazing job, cant wait to hear some of these live.