The Flame In All Of Us review by Thousand Foot Krutch

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Thousand Foot Krutch: The Flame In All Of Us

This is the come-back a lot of fans of Thousand Foot Krutch have been waiting for since their success with the song Rawfist that became a rock anthem in 2004. The Flame In All is the third full-length album by three Christian rockers from Toronto and barely the came-back the fans have been hoping for. When it became clear that rap-metal is not the most promising style, Thousand Foot Krutch, like a lot of their colleagues, turned into softer genres like melodic rock. Only a few tracks on the record like My Own Enemy remind of the band's past. The songs on The Flame In All combine a positive attitude and aggressive guitars. All of them have sing-along choruses and even angry rapcore InHuman suddenly turns into something mellow after every verse. Single What Do We Know is by far the band's biggest progress on the record. At least it's not too generic and features a catchy recognizable chorus.

There are a few things that I find quite hard to explain what they are doing on the album. Like children's chorals in What Do We Know or outcries of drunk guys in Learn To Breath. The band claims they like to try something new with each album. This time, it seems, the innovation is covers. Unfortunately some tracks too obviously remind you of the songs by other artists, they are all here, Linkin Park, P.O.D., Staind. Just take for example My Home or the aforementioned What Do We Know. And that has to do not only with the melody or guitar chords, the guys seem to be copying everything, including the vocal intonation. The influence of producer Ken Andrews (Chris Cornell, Pete Yorn, Tenacious D) is pretty obvious in such tracks as My Own Enemy. Though major chords in the chorus after distorted guitars in verses quite spoil the things.

There's not much to be said except too words, Christian rockers. Everything else doesn't need to be explained, who I am, what do we live for, what we know and so on. Plus, of course, a few ballads with a content such as You are my home, you are my everything when I feel so alone. Vocalist Trevor McNevan has quite mediocre singing abilities, but he learned to manage his vocals very good. What he's doing best is switching from growling rock singing to soft pitiful falsetto and he is doing that in half of the songs.

The guys seem to be too careful with any move they're doing, things are too mid-tempo, too polite, too restrained. Sometimes you want to add action to the music. Go let it out, guys! Unfortunately this is not the only complain about the guys. The lack of originality is so obvious, you have no wish to listen to the album after the third track. Even the good production doesn't help the generic sound of the band. To add a final touch to this album the guys are finishing it with the words This is the last song/So everybody sing along. I wish they didn't put this song on the record at all.

clonewars200
    I think this band is great. they have good sound, good lyrics and meaning. Give thie group a chance. I saw them live and they are even better live.
    RainBeforeDawn5
    i love TFK so damn much but this cd is the biggest disappointment since Louder Now from Taking Back Sunday And UG team come on...i have never read a review from u guys where you did'nt screw anything up...this is their 4th album....5th if you count All The Way Live...but no1 does Do your homework
    ad4mZX
    Yeah, and they spelt Rawkfist wrong and the album's title incorrectly. As the review said, it does sound very generic for the most part, but I think it deserves better than a 6.
    CapnKickass
    Phenomenon, one of my first albums it was pretty good. I saw them live about a year ago with eleventyseven and some lady. The lady was boring "lalala strum strum strum", the others were fun/entertaining... someone got a seisure... I don't know how to spell seisure.... someone's leag got trampled too... lots of kids jumping.... 11ty7 bass player wearing poncho do crazy guitar flip... was a good day. P.O.D. Satellite very 1st album, still my fav band alongside Metallica
    iml84myd8
    Great christian rock band. I loved all the old albums. After this review my expectations aren't high for the new album.
    pyritmann
    the name of cd sounds a little bit AFIish, not that im an AFI fan lol they suck, but a fire inside, a flame in all of us, just not original. but havnt heard the cd yet..
    ironman shred
    I am a new fan of TFK. I love this cd. Of course not a as good as the albums with Rawkfist and Move but still a favorite of mine. After seeing them in concert this past week they are one of my top favorite bands. They are alot better in concert. The cd doesn't capture the true capability of the band and their songs that you hear live.
    Mish-ow
    I think this album is great - not as good as Phenomenon, but I'm totally loving this album right now, especially the bonus DVD
    guitarstar102
    Thousand foot krutch is an amazing band!!! This album is great because it shows that they can make a different sound everytime. And a new sound is what keeps bands in the business for a long time. Take Seether for example or any other harder rock music. They make one cd that everybody loves and then they make another album that sounds exactly the same and they fall of the music radar. So for TFK, still being a popular band after 4 albums just goes to show how great they actually are!!
    sege
    i really disagree with these reviewers again, as i always do. TFK is a great Christian band. They make it seem like this album is their worst, I for one think its their best one yet. I also saw them live w/ Eleventyseven, also an amazing band.