The Flame In All Of Us Review

Thousand Foot Krutch: The Flame In All Of Us
Release Date: Sep 18, 2007
Genres: Rock
Label: TNL
This record is a perfect blend of the bands patented rock sounds, coupled with beautiful ballads that explore what truly burns inside of us.
 Lyrics: 7.3
The Flame In All Of Us Featured review by: UG Team, on september 21, 2007

Sound: This is the come-back a lot of fans of Thousand Foot Krutch have been waiting for since their success with the song Rawfist that became a rock anthem in 2004. The Flame In All is the third full-length album by three Christian rockers from Toronto and barely the came-back the fans have been hoping for. When it became clear that rap-metal is not the most promising style, Thousand Foot Krutch, like a lot of their colleagues, turned into softer genres like melodic rock. Only a few tracks on the record like My Own Enemy remind of the band's past. The songs on The Flame In All combine a positive attitude and aggressive guitars. All of them have sing-along choruses and even angry rapcore InHuman suddenly turns into something mellow after every verse. Single What Do We Know is by far the band's biggest progress on the record. At least it's not too generic and features a catchy recognizable chorus.

There are a few things that I find quite hard to explain what they are doing on the album. Like children's chorals in What Do We Know or outcries of drunk guys in Learn To Breath. The band claims they like to try something new with each album. This time, it seems, the innovation is covers. Unfortunately some tracks too obviously remind you of the songs by other artists, they are all here, Linkin Park, P.O.D., Staind. Just take for example My Home or the aforementioned What Do We Know. And that has to do not only with the melody or guitar chords, the guys seem to be copying everything, including the vocal intonation. The influence of producer Ken Andrews (Chris Cornell, Pete Yorn, Tenacious D) is pretty obvious in such tracks as My Own Enemy. Though major chords in the chorus after distorted guitars in verses quite spoil the things. // 6

Lyrics: There's not much to be said except too words, Christian rockers. Everything else doesn't need to be explained, who I am, what do we live for, what we know and so on. Plus, of course, a few ballads with a content such as You are my home, you are my everything when I feel so alone. Vocalist Trevor McNevan has quite mediocre singing abilities, but he learned to manage his vocals very good. What he's doing best is switching from growling rock singing to soft pitiful falsetto and he is doing that in half of the songs. // 6

Overall Impression: The guys seem to be too careful with any move they're doing, things are too mid-tempo, too polite, too restrained. Sometimes you want to add action to the music. Go let it out, guys! Unfortunately this is not the only complain about the guys. The lack of originality is so obvious, you have no wish to listen to the album after the third track. Even the good production doesn't help the generic sound of the band. To add a final touch to this album the guys are finishing it with the words This is the last song/So everybody sing along. I wish they didn't put this song on the record at all. // 6

- Kosh (c) 2007

The Flame In All Of Us Reviewed by: zacwiens, on october 13, 2007

Sound: Thousand Foot Krutch is a should be a fully mature band now after four cds but Trevor still needs to improve a bit on his vocals. I know this should be under lyrics but his vocals do affect the sound quality a bit. Steve's drumming was amazing with his great drum solos. Joel had some pretty sweet bass licks. I'm still not sure why they don't make their guitarist a permanent member of the band because the guitar was the best part of the CD. // 9

Lyrics: The only down side to the CD was Trevor's singing. He has had enough time to ace his singin but he hasn't. If he had this CD would have gotten a 10. At least though the lyrics matched the music and went well with it. If they hadn't I wouldn't even be writing this review. // 7

Overall Impression: This is probably their second best CD, The Art of breaking being their best because of the guitar. The best song on the album is either Inhuman or Broken Wing. Even though Falls Apart, New Drug, Learn to Breathe and My Own Enemy wee awesome. The best part as I said was the guitar.If it was stolen/lost I would buy it again. Overall it was a great album. // 9

The Flame In All Of Us Reviewed by: Caleb Weyant, on june 12, 2008

Sound: The sound of this album was great It leaves an impression of what can we do to save the unsaved people. The album has a story in the title. I think of it as the Flame in all of Us is the driving urge to spread the gospel. One of the things I have never heard of another band do was the way they record. They are all in the same room recording at the same time. One thing they do is have the guitar cabinents in one iso booth and the bass cabinents in the other. It helps the band to play live way better than most bands. The way they record also mean they have a raw rock feel. they don't process their music to make it sound nice and pollished. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics impacted me a lot when I first listened to it especially in the song "What do we Know" it really changed my perspective on the US. It reminds us that we are not in control of what can happen, only God is in control of what can happen to us. The ong Falls apart on the record is about when you don't relie on God you can turn into a monster. The song Broken Wing on the record is about how after you recieve that spiritual injurie you heal in time with the help of God. The lyrics really go well with the songs on the record, the singer can use so many different singing voices that fit well in the songs. // 9

Overall Impression: My impression is when I first started listening to them was I need to buy another one of their CDs. It outdoes a lot of secular albums out today because of the band's ability to play live and play live well. But personally I like Kutless Bwetter than TFK but this album outdoes some of their albums. The songs: Falls Apart, What Do We Know?, MY Home, The Safest Place, Learn to Breath, Broken Wing, and The Flame In all of us are the best tracks one the CD. If this CD was stolen I would by again and again, etc. // 10

Comments