Welcome To The Masquerade review by Thousand Foot Krutch

• Released: Sep 8, 2009
Thousand Foot Krutch: Welcome To The Masquerade

If you liked all of Thousand Foot Krutch's other albums, Welcome to the Masquerade will definitely not disappoint you. I have all of their albums and I love all of them. This one is no different. I would have to agree with all of those saying it is their heaviest record. The guitars on this album are awesome, really crunchy and give it a nice overall tone. The bass is nice and punchy and the drums are great too. They have seemed to added a lot more to the drums on this record as there are more drum fills with nice effects on them. Something Thousand Foot Krutch hasn't normally done in the past. The strings, keyboards and other backing instruments fit in perfectly with the rest of the instruments. I would compare the sound of this album to the likes of Phenomenon, but with a little more punch and aggressiveness. So if Phenomenon was your favorite record, Welcome to the Masquerade will probably be your new favorite.

I've personally always found the lyrics to be well written. I know many people say the lyrics are to cliche and maybe some of them are, but not for the majority. The lyrics for Fire It Up maybe really cliche, but the whole point of the song is to get you pumped and moving. The same thing with Smack Down. Look Away is another song that is cliche, only because TFK has written the same type of song on each album. The strongest lyrics on the album have to be the title track Welcome to the Masquerade, E for Extinction and Already Home. The others are not really amazing lyrically, but they aren't horrible by any means. I personally feel that Trevor McNevan is a good lead singer. He has a decent range, he has that ability to rap and he can do a good "scream." The screaming on this record isn't hardcore screaming, its just the really loud screaming/singing type. I think he pulls it off pretty well.

TFK has kind of always had that same type of sound for each record, but still they always manage to sound different while still having that same type of overall tone and sound. Each track has it's own type of flavor. While some tracks may rely on the guitars to drive the song, on others the drums drive the song or even the strings and vocals. 01. The Invitation: just an instrumental intro track that adds drive into the title track. Works very well. 02. Welcome to the Masquerade: I love this song. The guitar riff is crunchy and great and fits perfectly. The piano in the pre-chorus and chorus is a perfect addition as well. The multiple voices during the chorus makes it really catchy. The crunchy guitar flows threw the whole song and pretty much drives it. It cuts out in the pre-chorus and teh piano in the background takes over. Great arrangement. One of my favorite songs on the album. 03. Fire It Up: as I mentioned earlier, the whole point of this song is to get you pumped and moving. Which is does a great job of. The bass and guitars drive the song and make you want to crank it up and maybe cause some trouble for your neighbors. 04. Bring Me to Life: another great song. Nice, heavy, catchy and has that great crunchy guitar again. Trevor's vocals are great and have that rap feel to them in the verses. But not an over powering rap feel. He also has a great screaming part in the bridge that fits really well and sounds great. 05. E for Extinction: probably my favorite song on this record. Can't stop listening to it. Starts off with vocals and a clean guitar, later during the verse the other instruments come in. Then the pre-chorus comes in and it really takes off. Rap like vocals, heavy guitar, bass and drums. The chorus is really catchy and the riff in bridge is heavy and driving. Awesome, awesome track. My favorite. 06. Watching Over Me: this is a typical TFK slow song. Still awesome though. It does have a very poppy sound to it but it is still very catchy and good. 07. The Part That Hurts The Most (Is Me): the other guy said in his review that the verse sounds a lot like a new Linkin Park song. I didn't really hear that or notice it until I read that. Then I noticed it a lot more. It does have a Linkin Park feel in the verse but it's rather subtle and definitely nothing ripped off. The bridge is heavy and Trevor's screaming is great and fits well. My favorite part of this song. 08. Look Away: as I mentioned before, this a song that TFK has written before. It has the same feel and overall tone to This is a Call. Still not a bad song though, but it isn't really anything new. 09. Forward Motion: I like this song. If you were to tone it down a little bit and make the guitars a little lighter it could became a FM Static song. But it works as a TFK song no question. A little different than what we are used to from them. The vocals are great on this song an the chorus is really catchy. The guitar riff is easy but fits perfectly. Which is all you need in a song really. Good song. 10. Outta Control: starts with a single distorted guitar, all instruments later follow. Stays heavy the whole song, the chorus is really catchy and like Fire It Up, makes you wanna crank it up. The distortion on the vocals in the bridge are great and gives a cool feel. My second favorite song. 11. Smack Down: reminds me a lot of Rawkfist. I think it has the same type of premise that Rawkfist did. I could hear this as a song in a stadium to get the crowd going. The drums drive this song especially during the verses. Reminds me a lot of Queen's We Will Rock You, but without, once again, ripping it off. But the drums during the verses definitely give it that feel. The chorus is still catchy and it still gets you going. 12. Already Home: a great closing song. A lot like Breathe You In. Catchy throughout the whole song. The chorus gets me everytime. I could totally see this as a worship song. I don't know if it was written as one, but it sounds like it. Very moving to say the least, the strings in this song are absolutely amazing. It can be very a very emotional track. I can't stop listening to this song. Overall a very good album. I bought mine on iTunes the day it came out. I recommend you buying yourself a copy. If your not a Thousand Foot Krutch fan or don't really know them that well, I still suggest you check this album out. I won't say it's their best album since I wanna give it many more listens before I make that decision. But I would recommend this to anyone.

natuMzzri
    Nottoms wrote: Bleh. i liked TFK back when I was still developing my tatse in music, so its great for little pre-teen kids who have no taste in music, and christians.
    Yah, just because you listened to them when you were a little pre-teen kid, means that it's definately only for little pre-teen kids. If a little kid listens to Disturbed or Korn or some satanic band, does that mean they're only for little kids? I don't think so. And as for the christian remark, that made no sense what-so-ever. Love the album, love rapcore, love TFK and what they stand for!
    TFK_62
    The only store around here where you can get a half decent cd selection, and therefore the only store around here that MIGHT have TFK cds, didn't even have information on it. Can't even order it. >.
    sir_ddig
    Sound: The reason for writing this review cause the other one was a load of crap. Okay a little off topic... Thi s album is some of TFk's best work. Bringin back their old rap core style a bit has really improved their overall style from the flame in all of us. Tfk has really made an effort to make these songs sound different from eachother unlike the flame in all of us those songs sounded the same most of the time. The artwork for the album came from how we all wear masks to make us seem like someone else. Okay overall I'd say the sound is a nine cause it seems like all the songs are different not all sounding similar that is a huge plus. The more rap core style of this music has been improved from the flame in all of us. // 9 Lyrics and Singing: The other review that was crap said the lyrics were cheesy... YEAH RIGHT. These lyrics are great not cheesy. The lyrics are full of great meaning. The lyrics fit well with the music sometimes they felt off tempo or just off key but still fit well. The rap core style that has been more relevent in this album has been huge plus. // 8 Impression: If i had to pick my favorite album from TFK it would be this one. The other review for saying the part that hurts the most is like linkin park HAHAHAHAHAHA thats crap this is one of the best tracks on the record. The other goood songs on the album were Ire it up, the title track, Forward motion, bring me to life, E for exticntion, watching over me, and scream are great songs. I love the heavy feel of this album I don't hate anything really though. If this was stolen if I wouldn't have it on my computer I would buy it again. // 9
    The irony of your first line is almost painful. This is the worst review i have ever read. I really think you have lost any right to refer to ANYTHING as crap.
    winged_ninja712
    To be honest and fair, this album was great. I disagree with the first review very much, and agree that the album is far from cheesy. However, I don't think it is Christ-honoring to call someone else's opinion crap either. Welcome to the Masquerade is definitely among TFK's finest, if not the very best (which I would contend that it is). Although I was already a fan and had one of their albums, they earned a whole new respect from me when I got this one. I enjoy playing Smack Down and Welcome to the Masquerade on the guitar, as well as drums; I also look forward to learning almost all the rest. By the way, if anyone is interested, I have a guitar pro tab for the title song, and will add more tabs for this album as I have time. -winged_ninja712
    sg4ever
    I know it's just an opinion, but when the reviewer claimed that Look Away sounded fake I found that excessive. A cliche formula it may be, but it's still a heartfelt attempt.
    ChaosEternaI
    Well, I see the level of critics have dropped tremendously and it haunted me reading that awful "review".
    Oh maybe you have no taste of music, do you judge music by it sounds or its meaning? Obviously the answer was already a given there.