Human Review

Three Days Grace: Human
Released: Mar 31, 2015
Genre: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge
Label: RCA
The first album to feature new vocalist, Matt Walst, known for being the lead vocalist of his other band, My Darkest Days.
 Lyrics: 6.5
 6.2
 6.9
 5.4
 26,423
reviews (2) pictures (1) 40 comments vote for this album:
Human Featured review by: UG Team, on march 30, 2015

Sound: Three Days Grace formed in 1997, originally considered an "alt metal" band, their sound has changed over time, incorporating elements of pop rock and electronica. Their most common criticism throughout their career is that their sound isn't distinctive and doesn't stand out from the pack, and that would remain fair criticism with the release of "Human." Adam Gontier left the band as lead vocalist in 2013 with an undisclosed non-life threatening illness, and has since gone on to attempt to launch a solo career. Bassist, Brad Walst's brother, Matt Walst, filled in on tour and was asked to join the band as Adam's permanent replacement on vocals in 2014. Their album, "Human," will be the band's fifth studio album, and is being released on RCA Records. There are 12 tracks on the album and it clocks in right under 40 minutes. The lead single from the album, "Painkiller," was released in April of 2014, and reached #1 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock charts within 2 months. "I Am Machine" was released as the second single later in 2014, and then "Human Race" was released earlier in March 2015.

The album opens up with the single, "Human Race," which has a lot of electronica/synth in the opening, but this can be a little bit misleading about the album, because the rest of the album doesn't have the electronic elements as predominant as this track. The next track is the lead single, "Painkiller," which is driven by a simple - yet catchy - guitar riff. It definitely contends with what I'm hearing on mainstream rock radio, for what that is worth. "Fallen Angel" starts out with a keyboard intro, and is a very simple track, otherwise, with a very basic guitar part and a very straight 4/4 drum groove. Potentially the track is over-simplified. "Landmine" has a very post-grunge type of riff running through a lot of the track. "Tell Me Why" is one of the heavier tracks on the album, but has a cool intro that is virtually "clean." I would say the intro to this track, when the bass and drums first come in, make this one of my favorite tracks - but I don't like the choruses. "I Am Machine" has a pretty cool name for a song, but musically it doesn't live up to it for me. This is more of a touchy-feely song hidden in the guise of a heavy song. "So What" sounds like something I've heard before, but I can't quite place it. "Car Crash" has a little repeating theme in the song, which is kind of neat, but the lyrical premise is a metaphor that isn't always successful, but they "couldn't stop at the red light... red light." "Nothing's Fair in Love and War" is another really straightforward track, but it has a cool riff, that would probably be categorized as "post-grunge." "One Too Many" is a song about addiction or excess, and would be the best song to me, musically, if the drums got a little more creative. "The End Is Not the Answer" is a fairly simple song, yet again, but it is also a little catchy. The album closes out with the track, "The Real You," which implores "I will never give up on you/ I see the real you/ even if you don't, I do, I do" and makes me wonder what the heck happened to good radio music. // 7

Lyrics: Matt Walst makes a respectable job of replacing Adam Gontier, though he seems to have much more bite on his vocals with My Darkest Days than his work on "Human." There were a few lines that really caught my attention and briefly showed what Matt is capable of, but unfortunately they were very fleeting moments. The good thing about having Matt Walst come in to replace Adam, is that Matt was virtually already a member of the band, being Brad Walst's brother, and having helped with the writing on the debut album. Essentially, Matt's songwriting contributions were already something the band has worked with before. // 7

Overall Impression: I like "Animal I Have Become" and "I Hate Everything About You," but honestly, nothing much else the band has recorded has really grabbed me. I really feel like those two songs were anomalies, and the band just makes same-sounding songs. You can't even rate this album poorly, because it isn't a bad album - it is something worse - it is SO mediocre and "same" that it is insidious and gets on the radio, gets stuck in your head, but doesn't really do or mean anything or have any kind of real musical value to it. This may just be me, but to my ears, this is radio fodder - plain and simple. Subsequent listens don't make it better, it just gets portions of the songs stuck in your head. I think that Matt Walst may very well make a successful replacement on vocals, but I would really like to see the band stretch their legs creatively, and maybe create something that doesn't quite fit into the mold of their previous releases. // 6

- Brandon East (c) 2015

Human Reviewed by: DawsonArmstrong, on march 31, 2015

Sound: The sound of Human is easily its strongest point. It's dark, dirty, angry, and a great ride. The guitar and bass work remains catchy yet simple. The drums are a solid backbone in the album, but are hardly innovative or overly complex. The weakest part would be the new vocals from Matt Walst. Half the time they sound compatible with the music, but they also sound average to awkward for much too much of the album. Matt does a great job, and I hope to see him evolve from this record onward. In the meantime, the instruments will be more than enough to carry the record and the band. Overall, this is exactly what's to be expected from a sort if re-debut record: slightly amateur, but energetic, raw, and a great ride. // 8

Lyrics: This is where the album falls short: lyrics. The band has severely reverted to a much less creative lyric style. All the songs have inspiring titles that could have been amazing. The problem is too few of them actually cashed in on their great titles, being filled with far too much repetition, predictable and dry lyrics and a general sense of not living up to potential. There are a handful of songs that deliver passionate, and unique lyrics. But, these are few and far between. And as stated before, the vocals tend to be a 50/50 balance between great and awkward. // 6

Overall Impression: Ahhh, now the only part that anyone actually cares about. I would rank this their overall second best album, after "One-X." Sure, other albums had bigger hits. The difference is that "Three Days Grace," "Life Starts Now" and "Transit of Venus" all had several songs that I just straight up disliked. "TDG": "Overrated," "Born Like This" and "Burn." "LSN": "Last to Know," "Without You" and "Bitter Taste." "TOV": "Give Me a Reason," "Time That Remains," and "Happiness."

"Human" may contain a few awkward tracks and fewer powerful songs, but the consistency, which is fairly decent, is enough for me to rank it #2. Now for a song by song review. "Human Race" - slow, repetitive, but mildly catchy. Could have used more lyrics that weren't repeated. "Painkiller" - a great head banger with a catchy guitar riff, decent lyrics, and a great vibe. "Fallen Angel" - my personal favourite. It's a great attempt at something grand, but staggers a little with a few noncreative lyrics. "Landmine" - full of energy, aggressive and raw. Again, just lacks creative lyrics. "Tell Me Why" - one of the catchiest choruses on the album. This song gets all the pieces right. "I Am Machine" - catchy, aggressive and simple. A decently average song. "So What" - vocals don't work with the music, and also fairly bland. A mindless headbanger at best. "Car Crash" - deep lyrics and great vocals. The beginning of the song ruins this song by being far too simple for far too long. When the rest of the instruments kick in. "Nothing's Fair in Love and War" - nothing bad to say about this one. The sound works, and the lyrics work. "One Too Many" - one of the stronger songs lyrically, the rest of the song seems to just fall flat. "The End Is Not the Answer" - enjoyable, but again seems awkward compared to some of Three Days Grace other songs, such as "Never Too Late." "The Real You" - repetitive, maybe, but gives the record a great finishing note of love and security, which is a perfect contrast to its seemingly dark, and somewhat scared vibe. While this doesn't have the hits that we love Three Days Grace for, it also avoids making any of its mistakes. Overall, this album is a 72/100, and a must listen to those who are frustrated, angry, or just looking for a solid album. This is in no way Three Days Grace at their best, but it's an improvement from their last two records. Feel free to agree or rage in the comments. Rock on! // 7

Comments