Life Starts Now review by Three Days Grace

• Released: Sep 22, 2009
Three Days Grace: Life Starts Now

With Three Days Grace's third album, they prove their worthiness of the attention that they have gained since their first release. Once I learned that Life Starts Now had been released, I quickly jumped on the chance to listen to the album. Having only heard two songs from the band (Riot and Animal I Have Become), I wasn't really sure what to expect from the album. The songs I heard were okay, but they certainly weren't anything special. Curious to see why so many people I knew were fans of the band, I listened to Life Starts Now for the first time. Then a second time. And a third. I was actually pretty surprised by the album. Even though it's nothing special, the album has a bunch of likable songs. As far as musicianship goes, Three Days Grace isn't anything unique. They've got an average guitarist, an average drummer, an average bassist. The album kicks off with my favorite track, Bitter Taste. The songs alternate between heavy and soft; after a few heavier songs a softer song or two will play. Even though each track can easily be distinguished as a Three Days Grace song, they all possess individuality. No two songs sound the same. While most songs off the album are good... there are also a couple annoying tracks. For example, Going Down is quite possibly the Most Annoying Song I've Ever Heard. Another one is Bully... which some people will probably like. I think it's just plain annoying, though.

Like the musicianship, the lyrics are definitely nothing special. Every once in a while you'll encounter a lyric that you just know you've heard somewhere else. Adam Gontier's vocals make up for the mediocre lyrics. He's got a great voice and seems very emotionally involved in his songs. One thing I love about his voice is that when he starts singing in a mellower tone, he sounds a lot like Slipknot's singer Corey Taylor.

Overall, this is a pretty good album. Life Starts Now certainly isn't anything special, but it's an album that everyone, including fans, will probably enjoy. Life Starts Now has quite a few impressive tracks, including Bitter Taste, World So Cold, Lost in You, No More, and the title track, Life Starts Now. After listening to this album, I'd have to say that Three Days Grace has won me over. I guess I'm a fan now. Since I've never listened to any of their previous albums, I suppose that will be the next thing I'll have to do. And because I have no knowledge of the previous albums, I can't really say if this one is better than the others... So that's up to you to decide. But for those of you, like me, who are new listeners, I can tell you that this is an album you will probably enjoy.