Life Starts Now review by Three Days Grace

• Released: Sep 22, 2009
Three Days Grace: Life Starts Now

Compared two the band's previous two albums, "Life Starts Now" is significantly more technically sound. In many of the tracks, Three Days Grace breaks away from their cliche power chord riffs and ventures into many different melodies, and this album is even riddled with guitar solos, one of which is quite technical. All of the instrumental work is quite a bit more complex this time around. Amongst the 12 tracks, there are many fast drum rolls and beats (in "Bitter Taste", in particular) and interesting riffs. The bass is also a lot more present, not being hidden under the guitar as much, and Brad Walst makes an impact, delivering smooth, enjoyable baselines. Even the vocal work is improved this time around. Adam Gontier has definitely been practicing, being able to get into higher octaves without with voice cracking and he seems to always be on key. Many understated vocal harmonies can be found throughout the record, and Adam's falsetto throughout "Last to Know" is definitely worth mentioning. All in all, Three Days Grace's sound has never been stronger. This isn't to say previous fans of the band will feel alienated. "Life Starts Now" still contains the catchy choruses and powerful riffs Three Days Grace has been known for. In particular, the first single off the album, "Break", is about as cliche a Three Days Grace song as you can get. But the band members have undoubtedly evolved as musicians, pretty much entirely for the better. "Life Starts Now" is a very still enjoyable experience for old fans, but it gives what their past two albums left to be desired: a sturdy musical base.

Three Days Grace's lyrics have always dealt with a pretty shallow list of subjects, and for the most part, they remain this way in "Life Starts Now". Many of the songs are about depression, isolation, and the like. But not all of the tracks are dark this time around. The positive tone of loves songs like "Lost in You" and "Without You" may surprise the listener. A big element of Three Days Grace's lyrics has always been the hopeful overtones to otherwise dark songs, such as in the chorus to the single "Animal I Have Become" off their sophomore effort, "One-X". "Help me tame this animal," Adam belts, knowing there is always hope that things will get better as long as you try. This hopeful tone can be found in Life Starts Now, but a number of songs are just plain dark. The heavy, grunge ballad "Bully" is a shockingly morbid tale, and the chorus of "Someone Who Cares" is quite blunt: "Why is it so hard to find someone who cares about you/ When it's easy enough to find someone who looks down on you?" In some of the songs, the writing itself is just as strong or weak as it was before, depending on one's previous opinions of the band. In a few tracks, however, ("Bully" in particular) fan or otherwise, you may be pleasantly surprised at the depth they contain.

01. "Bitter Taste": They couldn't have picked a better track to start the album. A heavy, in-your-face song fans are sure to love. While it may not be the most original song the band has ever written, it's by far the most technically advanced, filled with fast rolls and solos. 02. "Break": Though cliche, "Break" is very enjoyable. The guitar work stands out as some of the best catchiest on the album. 03. "World So Cold": A soft, melodic track that, formulaic of grunge, breaks into a heavy, powerful chorus. Not their best work, but a solid song that holds it's own. The melody is great. 04. "Lost In You": A very catchy love song; new ground for the band. They preform beautifully. The intro riff almost sounds like something "Smashing Pumpkins would write. 05: "The Good Life": A powerful, energetic song that just makes you want to jump around to the beat. Guaranteed to get radio play eventually, and a lot of it. The "Riot" of this record, essentially. 06. "No More": This is, in my personal opinion, the strongest track on the album. The opening guitar riff is very strong, the entire song is emotionally powerful, yet catchy, and the solo is as incredibly emotional as it is simple. 07. "Last to Know": The low key piano sets off the mood to this sad ballad of lost love. Though somewhat predictable, the song leaves it mark. 08. "Someone Who Cares": Very catchy chorus and the musical breakdown is very interesting. The lyrics aren't the most inspiring, but they get the job done. 09: "Bully": The low, heavily distorted guitars create a lot of tension for what is the one of the most powerful and definitely the darkest song the band has ever written. "Maybe he just needed to be wanted." 10: "Without You": The sad tone of the song actually contradicts it's message in a way. Adam is basically singing about what his life would be like if his love ever left him. It sounds sad, but looking though it, it's hopeful, as are many of the band's songs. The solo isn't bad, but it doesn't particularly stand out. 11. "Goin' Down": I almost feel as if the chorus ruins this song. Not to say that it's bad, but the verse is so incredibly catchy that the more cliche chorus doesn't do it justice. Still a great song to listen to, but I feel as though it could've been better. 12: "Life Starts Now": The title track, the album's conclusion, is surprisingly and unfortunately the weakest song on the record. It sounds good and all, but there is nothing special at all about this cookie-cutter track. If it weren't the title track, I'd pass it off as a filler no question. A good solo could've saved it, but as it is, it seems incomplete. If I were to describe the "Life Starts Now" in one word, it would be powerful; definitely their most powerful to date in my opinion. Others may disagree. What is undeniable, however, is the fact that the production values, the musical depth, and overall "feel" of the album is more sturdy than ever. Whether you love 'em or hate 'em, Three Days Grace did what they set out to do: create a powerful album of hits, explore their musical style, and most importantly, clean out Adam's diary some more. ;) "Life Starts Now" is an excellent album that I'd highly recommend to any fan, past or present, of the band, genre, or rock in particular. A 9/10; truly amazing.

Alpha_Wolf
    hairy-southpaw
    however, can lamb of god even be called music?
    Um, yes? Lamb of God are a very talented band who put out consistently good material. The same cannot be said for Three Days Grace in my opinion.
    Jon777
    slipknot_420 wrote: Shabalaba wrote: slipknot_420 wrote: I did comment on this crap band my post was removed and my lamb of god comment came after another posters comment on my username, his was also removed, so besides wasting ur time, no u just made me waste my time, i used to like three days grace though i was still in highschool then i listened to alot of crappy music then lol good ole times! I'm going to guess and say you are between 13 and 15, and maybe an immature 16 because once you get older you realise how stupid you sound if you post something like that Need to check this out, not one of my favourite bands but not bad nonetheless No 24 going on 25 and obviously im more popular then 3 days whatever look at what the main focus in these comments are there on me so get over it bud! Plus you cant spell!
    My grammar are good?
    themelodicdeathshow
    To the forum mods if u could just remove all my comments since my original is not up there anymore, and its quite obvious that the other posts are causing a disturbance among the others. thank you
    themelodicdeathshow
    Shabalaba
    GenerationKILL
    the new three days grace lacked what was awesome about them, cool riffs, the new album sounded alot like the new finger eleven, sacrificed guitar-ness for pop radio friendly-ness. lol
    GenerationKILL
    nice one fanboy, now wheres the meathead with the "limp bizkit rules" comment?
    Guitarfreak777
    The person who gave it a 4.3 was spot on. This cd blew compared to their other too, one of the most disappointing albums this year.
    iamalexd
    slipknot_420 : lol slipknot would murder three days fakes, i like older slipknot, not the newer crap, Lamb of god is the best band there is so everyone go buy burn the preist and every Lamb of god cd i have spoken now you all may folllow! POSTED: 10/23/2009 - 09:54 am / quote |
    shut up, they're not the same music nobody likes you forum troll
    Findinghomer
    Patrijz wrote: So weird, people actually giving high numbers for lyrics... I heard the most cheesy stuff EVER on this album (and other 3dg too)... It's just insane! I don't really care about lyrics tht much, but when I sucks hard I start to notice...and annoy!
    agreed.. shallow lyrics of 3DG can be really lame, he is clearly no poet. decent album though, disappointin compared to first two
    Findinghomer
    Alpha_Wolf wrote: slipknot_420 wrote: lol slipknot would murder three days fakes, i like older slipknot, not the newer crap, Lamb of god is the best band there is so everyone go buy burn the preist and every Lamb of god cd i have spoken now you all may folllow! How can you compare Three Days Grace to Slipknot or Lamb of God? They're not even close musically. Only a true idiot would write that.
    however, can lamb of god even be called music? ahhhh thats the question.... this dudes a tool
    AnEvilWalrus
    Decent album I guess. Heavier and yet more radio-sounding then their other stuff. "No More" was an amazing song.
    RockGuitar92
    I liked their first album. I liked their second album a little bit. I don't think I like this on at all. I'm starting to notice how little talent they have.
    Patrijz
    indyrock91
    I am a big fan of 3dg, and this was a solid album. Yes, while the members are all pretty average when it comes to musicianship, they make it work by consistently making solid albums. Hope they come to Indy soon
    NoInnerKind
    Not a fan of this album. Out of the 12 songs, there's only 4 songs that jump out at me, and the rest just sound like fillers. I felt the same way about their One-X album too. but I loved their self titled album. That's their best stuff in my opinion.
    Lohnanmilitia
    I dont know, i like the album yet i dont. I think they have some really great potential that they haven't nearly tapped ino yet. Cant wait to see how the rest of their career plays out. A little more filler on this album, as was their first. Some slid tunes though.