One-X review by Three Days Grace

• Released: Jun 13, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
Three Days Grace: One-X

Now before I get into the criticism, let me say that I love TDG's stuff from their last album. The boys showed alot of different sounds and lyrical focuses on the first album. Now, the sound. When you listen to it, you can tell that they tried to add a bit to their sound, some of the songs have cool little intros, clean and then distorted. Sadly though, these are completely brushed away by the verse and chorus chords (which are just as predictable in every song). Three days Grace has a really good tone but they seriously overplayed it on this album. I bought it for a road trip and the only reason I listened all the way to the end is because I kept thinking that the next song would be different. "Animal I Have Become" is the only song on the whole album that has any kind of pattern different from every other song.The song, "One-X", is the last song on the album and I was excited because at the beginning it sounded different, and I thought maybe the guitar, or drums or bass, anything would be different. As soon as it got to the chorus it fell straight back into the formula. I give the sound a 4/10 because it is good, but they played it to death.

Gontier's vocals are undeniably powerful, as was introduced to us with the release of singles like "I Hate Everything About You" and "Home" from the previous album. The lyrics on this album focused on anger and depression. Which is fine and dandy and makes up alot of rock music, but like the guitar and bass and drums, its the exact same in every song. Every song. I mean, hes definately got the voice for it, but its repetitive. Another thing I felt is that, the passion and and the belief in the anger behind the lyrics is lost when you read through the lyric book and it feels like you're reading a book of poem's by Pierre from Simple Plan. There's a lot of "did you think you would be so depressed"'s and "you're not the only one"'s and "I'm so pissed off"'s. It's passionate but juvenile. The lyrics here get a 5/10 for having good passion but being repetitive and for not being expressed as well as could have been.

Like I've said before. Overall, its repetitive (and I realize the irony, because I've used that word too much), it's poorly thought out and I was expecting more from such a powerful band. I still love Three Days Grace though.