One-X review by Three Days Grace

• Released: Jun 13, 2006
Three Days Grace: One-X

I personally find this album to be my favorite from Three Days Grace. This was written during a particularly difficult time in lead singer, Adam Gontier's, life. Faced with the complications of drug addiction, he describes this album to be very personal to him. The theme of each song gives off a dark vibe with many of the songs being in a minor key. Each song is unique, and has a new feeling to it than the previous one. One thing I would've enjoyed would be more guitar solos. Barry Stock is a very gifted guitarist, and I think that could have added a lot to the interest of each song.

The overall feeling I get from listening to this album is something you don't find very many other places. Each song has somewhat of a darker feeling to it, with an underlying message of hope. With the intention of making the listener feel as if they are not alone, most of the lyrics are from the point of view that we can all relate to. Something that I really liked was the relation of the lyrics and sound. If the purpose of the song was to make you feel anger/rage- the instrumentals definitely reflected that by having more energy and heavier chords. The vocals displayed with this band are spectacular. Adam Gontier does a wonderful job of capturing the pure emotion of the song, and having a different perspective on each track. Very talented.

I listen to a lot of different artists, but I would honestly have to say that Three days Grace is one of my favorites. The raw and honest emotion that is put into each song is probably the thing that makes it so meaningful to the listener. My personal favorite songs off the record would have to be: -Riot: Full of energy, Fun to listen to! Full of anger and bent-up rage. -Gone Forever: Very sad, describes conflicting emotions of love and hate often most painful after losing someone. -Animal I Have Become: Energetic! Relates to internal conflict and frustration with one's self. I love the overall feeling that this whole album gives off. While it mainly focuses on internal conflicts, and broken spirits... It really makes you realize that no matter how much you feel like you don't belong here, we are all together as one. A somethings that I would change: More guitar (In general, it would add so much to the overall effect.), and a few more songs featuring acoustics would also have been great. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone. I enjoyed listening to this album very much... :)

CiReMaN
    All I can say is that I prefer this album overall but I believe the singles on the first album had more punch!