Beggars review by Thrice

• Released: Aug 11, 2009
Thrice: Beggars

The sound of the album is eerie and very melodic. Which I enjoyed tremendously. Sure Thrice has changed their overall sound but not to the extent to where they're an unlistenable band. I got into Thrice around the time Vhiessu came out and my liking for them has grown more and more after every album I've bought. Dustin Kensrue has to be one of my favorite vocalists, he really has this voice that just draws you in, especially in "Wood And Wire". As soon as I heard him sing the first verse I got the chills. I think "Beggars" is one of the best songs to end an album. It had me playing the album over and over.

Dustin Kensrue has always had amazing lyrics that just tell a story and draw you into the song and I don't know how he does it. He is a gifted lyricist and singer, the album doesn't have as much screaming as previous albums(for example "The Illusion Of Safety" or "The Artist In The Ambulance")but I don't see that as a bad thing, it really just shows more of Dustin's vocal range. Lyrics that I find were the best from the album were "Beggars","In Exile","Circles", Wood And Wire", The Weight", and "Doublespeak". When Dustin sings the line "If there's one thing I know, in this life, We Are Beggars All" I can't help but get goosebumps, and if just someone's voice can do that, Wow, what a vocalist.

One day I played all Thrice Albums From "New" to "Old" and I saw a major difference but in a good way. Thrice have managed to make every album different from the previous, which I admire most about the band.I'm not one of those music listeners that complain about bands changing their sound because in the end it's the same band they just are trying new things. Yes, I'll admit some bands end up just getting worse once they change their sound but someone ends up liking it right? And that's what makes us different and able to express our opinion. Now before I get all off subject I'll conclude my review.If I lost this album I'd definitely buy the album again, no doubt about it.

Mr Pringle
    The problem about thrice and their changing style is that the fans go ape shit about what album's genre it goes under and why it's better. I just listen to the albums and say what albums i like don't like but not shoving my opinion down people's throats.
    Cheesepuff
    they achieve more intensity than most of their work without the screaming, and with less riffs.
    amnon
    While trying to find the correct words for this album, I discovered myself not being able to explain what I really think about the album. I guess everyone feels a little different about it, but that makes it so big, so great, so masterpiece-like. Thanks.
    jazzster
    Blanco wrote: In my opinion The artist in the ambulance was the best album, identity and illusion are both amazing albums but they just didnt quite flow as well as artist. Dont get me wrong the other albums are all good but i dont think they stand up to them 3. Real fans stand by thrice but are all still attracted by the heavy hitting songs more than the new stuff.
    I don't think it is fair to qualify yourself as a "real" Thrice fan because you like their older albums. That is your opinion. Their stuff up through and including Artist is fun to listen to once in a while, but Thrice became one of my favorite bands since Vheissu. Before then, they were gettin lost in the crowd. Now they are such a dynamic band, constantly challenging themselves, and in turn the listener. Thrice's current direction is why I love them.