Identity Crisis review by Thrice

• Released: Mar 6, 2001
Thrice: Identity Crisis

On the first full-length release from Thrice, they threw themselves into a whole new dimention of music. I say this because they made a sound for themselves that no one had ever made before. Their amazing mix of metal, punk, and post-hardcore styles make them a joy to listen to, if not just for the originality of it all. Thrice demonstrates their musicianship, as well as their songwriting skills on every song on this album, and they exceed at both.

I've said it many times before, and I will say it again: Dustin Kensrue writes some of the most meaningful, deep, emotional lyrics ever. With lines like "Image marred by self-infliction/Private wars on my soul waged/Heart is scarred by dual volitions/Juxtaposed and both engaged," you can see how he uses great words to communicate his meanings, and how his lines flow so smoothly together. And what sets Thrice apart from other metal-influenced bands is that Dustin can actually sing. He's not just a screamer, he can actually hold a tune. With that said, he has an amazing scream as well, and he fits his melodies perfectly to the music and lyrics.

Definitely, this is one of the best albums I own. I say that alot with my reviews, and in this case, it is no different. This is one of those CD's which you can put on your stereo and just let it play; every song is excellent. If this album got stolen or was lost, I would get a new one without question. I've been listening to this CD on and off for a couple years now, and I still love it as much as I did the first time I evey played it.

devinbryndel
    not much words I can say like in the other reviews.. simply amazing. flawless for their first full length...just a great cd that doesn't get old.