Red Sky review by Thrice

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Apr 11, 2006
  • Sound: 10
  • Lyrics: 10
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 10 Gem
  • Users' score: 8.4 (37 votes)
Thrice: Red Sky
1

Sound — 10
Well I just got this EP today because I was curious as to how Thrice handles itself on stage with all the different instruments that were used in Vheissu and I have to say, For Miles, Red Sky, and Of Dust and Nations were even more amazing on the live versions. As for the 2 new songs which were Vheissu B-Sides, Flags of Dawn just blew me away with its epicness. I never saw it coming with such a slow and soft song. When I was expecting the same for Weight of Glory, I became even more amazed to hear Thrice begin with such a revival of their hardcore roots and then combine it with their new evolutional trailblazed material. It was such an amazing combination of the greatest types of songs from about 5-10 years ago with today that I was somewhat relieved to hear the next song as a familiar old tune known as Under a Killing Moon live. It's nice to know that Thrice still recognizes what got them where they are today and appreciates it as much as their new version of themselves.

Lyrics — 10
Dustin appears to put as much raw passion and effort each time he sings. Whether it be live or recorded, it always ends up magnificent and amazing. Not much else to say except that Dustin has always had such a knack for creating not only good lyrics but the ability to sing them so perfectly with every song of theirs.

Overall Impression — 10
Just wow. I was almost as excited after listening to this as I was when I was done Vheissu for the first time. Hearing something with such deep intensity needs a few moments to sink in before you make your decision either this was amazing or this was f--king amazing.

4 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Codezzzz
    Thrice definately separated their fanbase on this new album. They have about 75% of people loving the new stuff they put together on Vheissu as "evolving" and the other 25% hating their new stuff with a passion saying that they ruined themselves. Oh well, the fans remaining are loving it so I hope they keep it up.
    SL!!!
    haha. the 25 percent who hate it think Atreyu and f'n poop like A Static Lullaby are good bands.
    2strung_out
    I was browsing in my local cd store looking for the new k-os cd Atlantis Hymns for Disco and saw the Red Sky Thrice EP!! I bought it in a second for $11 CND because thrice is one of my fav, if not my favorite band. The CD rocks, everyone should buy it. Dustin's lyrics are always the best. Glad to see people admiring the new music evolution. I still love all their old stuff too! People that can't appreciate their new music...haha I feel sorry for them.
    Zizizizz
    jeez everyone keeps saying their old music is beter when i find the new experimental to differenciate them from other bands, before they felt like a really good punk band now through their evolution devoloped into real musicians with a knack for that feel only they can provide