The Alchemy Index, Vols. 1 & 2: Fire & Water review by Thrice

• Released: Oct 16, 2007
Thrice: The Alchemy Index, Vols. 1 & 2: Fire & Water

Whether or not you'll like this album depends heavily on whether you cared for 2005's release, 'Vheissu.' A lot of The Alchemy Index's sound is very similar. Starting out on the Fire disc with the immense and heavy, "Firebreather" you'll notice some similarities between this and songs like "Image of the Invisible" and "Hold Fast Hope". Moving on to the Water disc, the sounds here resemble songs more like "The Earth Will Shake" and "Atlantic". Not that the similarity is anything to be worried about, especially if you enjoyed Vheissu; you'll be glad to hear how the sound itself has evolved yet stuck to the formula. My only problem is just how much they used the concept of the "elements" in their songs. They could've displayed a little more, freedom? in their sound instead of sticking to the Fire/Water theme so strong.

Dustin Kensrue has a great voice and a real way with words, but as stated above with the whole elements theme, they really needed some subtlety. Almost every Fire disc song has some synonym or fire or flame and Water is hardly any different. The lyrics are great, don't get me wrong. But it doesn't fully display how poetic, deep and at times, diverse, Dustin's lyrics can be.

Whether this is to be hailed as Thrice's finest is up to you. Despite the flaws and nitpicking shown above, this is my personal album favorite of Thrice. I love a lot about the album. The evolution of the sound itself, how they've musically "matured" if you will. But my biggest problem is what I've been droning on and on about in the above paragraphs; just how much they actually drove the concept into the music. A little too much if you ask me, but any Thrice fan (including me) can easily look past this and enjoy this album to the full.

lostinpieces
    For all of the past lovers of Thrice's music who hate there new sound you are complete idiots. Honoustly take a listen to how much there sound has evolved. I agree artist in the anbulance and the illusion of safety along with many other great albums are all amazing and i guess you could say have many options for hit singles. However there new sound on the alchemy index has no songs to please those wannabe ****ing gay kids who will send a song to the charts. It is simply true beauty, Thrice has captured something that is unbelievable. Appreciate there new sound even if you dont like it because there creativity and willingness to try anything just shows how much of an amzing band they are, and for the album i would give it an 8.5-10
    Thriced
    avengingender wrote: To be honest, I didn't really like where Thrice was headed with Vheissu (only song I liked was Image of the Invisible), and I don't see how this album is getting great reviews everywhere. Maybe I'll look into it. I still prefer the earlier stuff, especially Illusion of Safety.
    This is simple, you dont listen to it with an open mind. You dont read the lyrics and you dont really see how these songs were put together. image of the invisible was a great song, but i bet you dont even know the message it brings. you like it because it was catchy. and that is where that fine line is drawn between the true thrice fans, and also people who know great music. maybe you should go check the new britney spears song out, its a bit catchy. later bud