The Alchemy Index, Vols. 1 & 2: Fire & Water review by Thrice

• Released: Oct 16, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Thrice: The Alchemy Index, Vols. 1 & 2: Fire & Water

The overall sound of Fire is big and beefy and a little to familier. It almost sounds like these songs where written during the Vheissu timeline and were saved for "Alchemy" Fire is not short on power but it is short on hooks and catchyness which I have always thought Thrice was great at. Nothing really new of ground breaking here. Water seems more like another Dustin Kensrue solo project. Inexplicably the band's unquestionable arsenal of instrumental talent is pushed aside for a collection of very bland, dull songs that include electronica, synthesizer, Drum machines, Sequencer, Keyboard and Samplers.

The lyrics are fitting to each topic. Fire. Water. Kensrue has always been an excellent lyricist and continues to be on "Alchemy." My only issue is after the 3rd or 4th water or fire based song, you get the point and it seems to become a little redundent. At times Kensrue sounds down right bored.

Overall I understand the concept of the record. The 2 elements with songs that coincide with each. To be honest I just don't really know why I should care. Thrice have always been a band that inspired me. I could always relate and really got swept up in thier pervious records. I congradulate them on the effort, but it feels like I got left behind on this one.

stumaster18
    AGREED. VHEISSU SUCKEDDDDD. BRING BACK STUFF LIKE ARTIST IN THE THE AMBULANCE!
    Octavarium666
    The water side realy has that "confortably numb" feeling,i realy like to put this disk on when I go to bed.
    neil-one
    i bought the last copy they had in walmart in a very small town in wisconsing but it has the most amount of music around i was very gleeful at the thought that all the cds had sold out. i love the water album it is awesome, it comforts me down to my very soul. but i wouldnt mind for them to get some good solos in there. also the drummer was amazing at fills and there are none on the new album slitely disapointed there to. but it still is my current favorite.
    lukeshredpard
    stumaster18 wrote: sylic wrote: I listened to them starting out when I was younger and came back to listen to vheissu. I was shocked that there wasn't one song I found even decent.I have listen to quite a broad range of music in my life, yet the songs were just quite dull and lifeless to say the least.I didn't feel like they put much work into it. I don't think I'll be picking this one up, from the things I've read it hasn't changed much. AGREED. VHEISSU SUCKEDDDDD. BRING BACK STUFF LIKE ARTIST IN THE THE AMBULANCE!
    that is the biggest load of, excuse my french, horse shit I have ever heard. Vheissu was an amazing album and took heavy music to a place where I thought it couldnt go. So, **** you Mr. "I hate everything that isn't fast and in the key of A#".
    devinbryndel
    This is the best cd collection of 2007! From one of my favorite bands. Coming into this cd I liked both there heavy and soft music. But I like either of the cds really but Water has more depth and I could listen to it for hours. With fire on the other hands. Amazing song writing and depth as well but not as musically pleasing but all together favorite cd of 2007 from my favorite band!
    xguffx
    alright i understand every band must change. Because that would be the point in making new a cd. Not putting outthe same thing you already have, but i miss the old thrice that would jam. Their old tracks like To Awake And Avenge The Dead, Deadbolt, Blood Clots and Black Holes, and Under a Killing Moon. What happened to that thrice i knew.
    1frmtx
    Ok folks, I'm not to much for forums, but I have to say honestly Thrice is one of the most impressive bands out there today...period. I am a fan of the older days(Illusion of Safety), but I am so impressed with this latest effort. Teppei's musical range gets better with ever album. Dustin's voice is inspirational. Phenominal job, cant wait fo AI III&IV
    Awesome Man
    I like almost all of thrice's stuff, and i think it's cool that they're changing their style slowly, but i think my favorite album would have to be vheissu.