The Alchemy Index, Vols. 1 & 2: Fire & Water review by Thrice

• Released: Oct 16, 2007
Thrice: The Alchemy Index, Vols. 1 & 2: Fire & Water

Thrice's Fire & Water CD's were a interesting step towards something new and different. Fire sounded kind of like some of Thrice's earlier stuff, but songs like The Arsonist had a interesting new sound. Water, on the other hand, reminded me of Red Sky, from there previous album, but songs such as The Whaler and Digital Sea were well done. Also the band sounded excellent live, even when they played digigtal sea, which had strange vocal distortion. This new CD was a good innovation, having two contrasting elements (Fire & Water) and then playing the music in a way that the contrast was striking and refreshing.

I liked some of the lyrics, but sometimes I didn't. In songs such as the Arsonist, The Flame Deluge, and Lost Continent the lyrics were hard to hear and sometime were impossible to make out. The lyrics went well with the music overall, with Fire having screaming and a louder tone than Water. Dustin Krensue's voice is excellent, and his screaming good too.

This album is good, but not as godd as artist in the ambulance or Vhiessu but is still worth picking up. The best songs in my perspective were The Flame Deluge, Lost Continent, and The Whaler. I love the sounds and the great contrast of Powerful, intense Fire and mellow, moving and soulful Water. If this CD was stolen I would be pretty mad, and definetly want it back.