The Artist In The Ambulance review by Thrice

• Released: Aug 12, 2003
Thrice: The Artist In The Ambulance

This CD is by far one of the best I have heard in quite a while. THRICE has a sound that falls somewhere between hardcore, punk and emo that is also infused with incredible guitar melodies. "The Artist in the Ambulance" is one of those discs I can throw into my CD player and let it play all the way through, there is not one bad track on this disc. My fave has to be the title cut, a song that the first time I heard on the radio I actually told my girlfriend to be quiet while I listened to it, it was that powerful.

The lyrics are dark and depressing, definitely not something I'd listen to if I were suicidal. But in alot of the songs there are messages, especially in "Blood Clots and Black Holes", a song I interpret as a shot at modern health care and "The Melting Point of Wax", a retelling of the story of Icarus. Dustin Kensrue has a wide range of vocals, from screaming in "Silhouette" and "Hoods on Peregrine" to sounding almost like Jim Adkins (Jimmy Eat World) in "Stare At The Sun" and "The Artist in the Ambulance". Overall the singing and lyrics are good but, they need to be a bit cheerier in my view.

As I said before, this CD is probably the best I have heard all year, ranking right up there with Evanescence and Fuel. Thrice has a unique sound and even though this record may not sell ten million copies it is still a record to go out and buy.