The Artist In The Ambulance review by Thrice

• Released: Aug 12, 2003
Thrice: The Artist In The Ambulance

Thrice took a large step to full-on metal in "The Artist In The Ambulance." They really show off their musical chops, and they can do it without sacrificing a good, memorable song. The fact that Thrice can write amazing songs while still allowing their musical ability to shine through is a feat that not many bands these days can accomplish. If you want to play some songs off this album, you better be prepared to tune to Drop C! That's what Thrice writes all their songs in on this album. It helps fit the singer's (Dustin Kensrue) vocal range better.

If you're looking for good lyrics, you came to the right album. Dustin Kensrue's lyrics are some of the best I've ever read. He writes about topics that are meaningful to everyone, and he does so in a deep and powerful way. He makes his lyrics fit the music perfectly, and his screams are strong and perfectly timed. Even though this album has a metal setting, Dustin is not like other metal singers who just scream and scream. He actually has a good singing voice too. That said, when he screams, it shakes you to your bones.

This is a favorite album of mine. As you may realize from my other reviews, I like it when I can let an album just play, and there are no bad songs. This is definitely one of those CDs. All the songs are impressive, and all the songs are different. A rare thing in today's music. If it were lost or stolen, I would buy it again in a second. Definitely an album worth buying again and again.

VolucrisExNox
    This is one of the best post-hardcore albums of all time. The music composed goes along pretty well with the lyrics; What I mostly liked about the album are the guitar riffs and the awesome drum breakdowns. My favorite songs would be Under A Killing Moon, All That's Left, Paper Tigers, The Melting Point Of Wax and The Artist In The Ambulance. For all of you who haven't heard this album, go and buy one now!
    SL!!!
    this album is sweet. but its not about death. the line we are the dead are about 9/11 and all of that nonsense and the way people were acting. its not so much dark and depressing, as it is a wake up call and getting you to be smart. /bad grammar?/ haha. yeah. and blood clots and black holes is not really just about health care but america kinda sucking in general. aka the war. thats where a lot of this album came from. Dustin is christian and so he is against war, from what they've said and what i interperet alot of the album is kinda fueled by that.
    PhantomWuss95
    Dude they didnt make this album because they were against war. What were you thinking when you said that?