The Illusion Of Safety review by Thrice

• Released: Feb 5, 2002
Thrice: The Illusion Of Safety

On their second full-length release "The Illusion of Safety", Thrice presents the perfect mix of punk, hardcore, emo, and metal. Most songs are very fast paced and highly energetic, perfect to fit your headbanging needs. Guitarists Dustin Kensrue and Teppei Teranishi take the classic roles of rhythm and lead, respectively, with Kensrue bashing out on downtuned powerchords as Teranishi's fingers fly up the fretboard with complex riffs that will make your head spin. The only downside to the sound is that it overall sounds pretty much the same (with the exception of the lighter track 'Trust'). The sound should be satisfying to any heavy music lovers.

I am a big fan of Geoff Rickly (Thursday) and his lyrics before I ever listened to Thrice. I was surprised once I listened into Kensrue's lyrics that they were actually deeper than Rickly's. The 5th track "Deadbolt" (my personal favorite) has lyrics that seem to flow like a story. The 7th track "The Red Death" seems to be cleverly based off the Edgar Allen Poe short story "The Masque of the Red Death". Kensrue's dynamics and rhythm in his vocals fit perfectly to the feel of the guitar riffs. Kensrue does great harmony overdubs, his screaming is not the best I've heard but he does it well.

With Thrice being my favorite band, this is definitely my favorite album of all time. Every song on the album is outstanding with the exception of #2 "A Subtle Dagger", which is just mediocre. I love the emotion and the musical skill involved in this album, and just the overall feel. Once again, the only thing I hold towards this album is the monotony, but the amazing songs get me past that. If this CD was stolen and I failed in tracking down the cursed criminal, I would definitely go buy another copy. If you love heavy music, deep lyrics, and great musicianship, I highly recommend giving this album a shot.