Vheissu review by Thrice

• Released: Oct 18, 2005
Thrice: Vheissu

At first I was very surprised by this album having heard all of their previous albums. Unlike the other albums, this album has a more mellow, quiet feel to it, but at the same time, it shakes the walls with an extremely powerful message through and through. Thrice accomplished exactly what they wanted, which is to not hammer heavy riffs all the way through a song, but expression their will to be different and their amazing sense of creativity.

Dustin Kensrue has never failed us with his lyrics. His words are very metaphorical, but if you can understand, he sends out powerful messages to its listeners. He's not like most singers today, who are too busy whining about their lost love or how bad they hate their life. The lyrics have exceeded expectations once again.

While the songs "Image Of The Invisible" and "Hold Fast Hope" are similar to the same crunching riffs, from The Illusion Of Safety and Artist In The Ambulance, this album is more free-thinking and I think its a very brave step for a band to come out and go outside the boundaries of their genre and express their love for music and expressing themselves and their creativity. I love the fact that Dustin has an extremely mellow and great singing voice, but yet has a scream that could shatter windows. The thing that stuck out most to me was that I had no idea Teppei was such a good pianist. Vheissu is definitely a big step away from Thrice's past, but its most certainly a great step for them, and this album is worth every penny.