Vheissu review by Thrice

• Released: Oct 18, 2005
Thrice: Vheissu

Thrice has definetly evolved from their last album. I didn't know what to expect from them except the natural progression that they have acheived throughout their entire back catalog. I wasn't let down. The use of non-standard rock instruments sets them apart from many of the horrible copy bands that have sprung up in the last few years. Listen to "The Earth Will Shake" where the mellotron plays behind the main rhythm. It is incredible. The music box in "Music Box" or the piano in "For Miles."

Dustin's lyrics have always been the best aspect of Thrice's sound. Here his lyrics get more personal and dive deeper into symbolism. If you take a moment to listen you'll find that the lyrics address deeper topics than typical bands. Spirituality is the main topic throughout and Dustin conveys it like no one else. His voice on the album ranges from near whispers to gutteral growls, but not the growls that one would expect. They fit the rythm of the songs quite well.

My overall impression is that Thrice is exactly where they want to be. It is quite comparative to Brand New's Deja Entendu. The album is not without fault though. "Stand And Feel Your Worth" stumbles a bit and is a little too long to hold my attention. "Like Moths to a Flame seems a little too out of place even for this record. I think that this album should have been the next album that Thrice should have made. Their should have been a better transition between The Artist In The Ambulance and Vheissu. I think that is what upsets their fans the most is the too rapid change. Overall though it is a superb record and is my record of the year. Thrice is one of my favorite bands and if they keep making music like this they will continue to rise up into the ranks of great bands in history. Standout tracks: Image Of The Invisible, The Earth Will Shake, Of Dust And Nations, Red Sky.