Vheissu review by Thrice

• Released: Oct 18, 2005
Thrice: Vheissu

The band's sound has changed and is more mature as experienced bands like Thrice should all do. The album isn't really accessible at the first listening but it gets better and better. The piano is also a great addition to Thrice's talent. For example, the beginning of 'For Miles' is simply awesome. The sound got a bit darker and deeper but it's still great. No big solo and I think Thrice has done its part for this in other albums. The riffs are great though! Take for example 'Of Dust And Nations'. Drums are as good as you would expect from Thrice and they set the pace in a lot of songs as they are the only instruments used in some parts. A masterpiece in my opinion.

The lyrics are once again great and deliver incredible emotion. Just listen to 'Red Sky' a couple of times and you'll know what I'm talking about. 'Image Of The Invisible' is certainly a criticism of the world in which we live which cares more about money than anything else (we're more than carbon and chemicals). His vision of the world is quite dark but there's some songs where it's tainted with hope like in 'For Miles' (all of our tears, all of our fears will take flight). The words fit beautifully with the music and Dustin is undoubtedly a very, very talented singer with an outstanding range and he proves it well on this record.

Vheissu is one of the most original albums of 2005, and even if some people won't love it at first sight, I suggest you listen to it over and over and try to understand the message Dustin wants to be heard through the lyrics and the music which is almost heartbreaking in certain songs. You feel like it's too late to save all this and at times you get that feeling of hope. I would have like to see more hard songs like Thrice got us addicted to though. That's why Thrice won't get a 10 here. Enjoy!