Bloodlust review by Through the Eyes of the Dead

• Released: Oct 25, 2005
Through the Eyes of the Dead: Bloodlust

When I received the song "Two Inches from a Main Artery" on a compilation disc some time ago, I knew I need to purchase this album. And indeed, I was not disappointed. Through the Eyes of the Dead's first real full length CD (an EP and a split were released previously) is filled with fast, heavy guitar riffs and talented drums. They also know how to slow it down, on tracks like the aforementioned "Two Inches" and another favorite, "Beneath Dying Skies". "Force Fed Trauma" also has a punishing intro. Overall, the bands sound is intense, and they have an obvious knack for writing good songs. I also enjoyed the interlude "Black Death and it's Aftermath", which is a cool way to take a breather. But by the last real song, you start to hear the same riff recycled throughout. Which is no fatal flaw, remembering that this is still the band's early days. With a new album on the way (Malice), the band needs to expand and explore it's sound a little, because then they will be something truly amazing. Malice will decide if Through the Eyes of the Dead will stick to leading the pack or completely blow away the competition.

I'll start first with the singer. His vocals are, at least, original, but the over-processed sound gets old, fast. His high screams are not as bad as his lows, which sound like breathing, and are barely even audible. I certainly understand the need to sound original nowadays, but I think the vocals could've been good without all the processing. Thankfully, they have picked up a new singer for the next album. As for lyrics; in my opinion, they are nothing special; they aren't bad, but aren't especially good, either. They fit the music well, but are a bit cliche, "You can't save us" is repeated over in "Two Inches". If you're not a fan of overdone vocals, you will find them a bit of a hindrance to the overall album.

Bloodlust is a great album, no doubt about it. On the music side, it is fast and well written, but on the vocal side, let's just say, if the vocals annoy you like they annoy me, you just have to tone them out and appreciate the music. Some highlight tracks are "Two Inches", "Beneath Dying Skies", and "Force Fed Trauma". This album is actually only five new songs, with two remakes and three interludes/intros/outros. But, even still, if this album was to disappear from my collection, it would definitely be re-bought. If you're a fan of fast, heavy music with good breakdowns, than this is for you. Now, we just have to wait for Malice.