Venom & Tears review by Throwdown

• Released: Aug 7, 2007
Throwdown: Venom & Tears

Throwdown is on the very verge of what the fore-fathers of metal/thrash/hardcore have built for them; Greatness. Opening with "Holy Roller," the pummeling, gnarling and thrashy guitar work done by Mark Choiniere clearly sets foot to the rest of the album. With more experiments into solo's and fast paced (some time even Dimebeg influenced) finger work, this is truly the most prolific benchmark on the record an their career. Also, aside from Mark's amazing guitar work, we lay waste to Dave Peters brute hardcore voice, that sets the tone for the angst that is the "Hardcore Scene." Much like Pantera's early records we find amazing thrashy, hardcore riffs with atmospheric drum work. This is metal's new coming, be prepared.

Dave Peters should be given the credit he deserves, on tracks "Day Of The Dogs" and "Wieght Of The World" he clearly emphasizes the life of a true hardcore brute. With lines like " Nobody said this wouldn't end in tears/ but I refuse to live a cowards life/ guided, guarded by fear/ it wont be long/ the dog will have his day & I will say f--k you all." If anyone has been to a hardcore show or live the life of a true hardcore "thug" will understand Dave's words of wisdom on how we could keep getting put down, but the day will come for your enemy. There is so much more to the lyrics with past mistakes and the life Throwdown lives as "Straight Edge" enthusists. It's all there, it's just a matter of of looking, in your own heart.

Too date, this is Throwdown's defining moment into the world of metal music. Falling away from trends and feeling what they are meant for, Throwdown has a certified masterpiece on their hands. In closing, just think if Damebag was back, I have an odd feeling he would be a happy camper with this little Orange County threshold of brutality.

Schizopathic
    this album is absolutely insane! I love the great guitar work, and how they stick to their roots, while branching out into something new...
    Teufel
    Some of the material reminds me of Pantera indeed. That's a good thing, too.
    dcloud
    These guys have evolved their sound so much (metal -wise) compared to their previous stuff. Vendetta was a step in the right direction and this just solidifies them as a legit Metal act.
    newbie to pro
    ShrimpthePimp
    This album is absolutly brutal. Throwdown is such a amazing band they sound sorta like a harder Pantera, which is a very good thing and the riffs are so hard, headbanging is a must. basically, this album = insta win.
    boyan89
    roarinflames
    boyan89 wrote: what a ****ing awesome album!! this isnt a pantera riff off thats how his voice sounds you know how hard it is to sound like that i love what they are doing and the riffs are absolute killer he actually sounds like a Sully Erna and Phil Anselmo mix!
    i was just about to say that lol this album is sick
    IRONMAIDENTLICA
    if i wanted to listen to pantera, i would just do so.
    Good then leave here and go listen to them. Throwdown is ****ing sick.
    MikeD91
    operaterxrayter wrote: newbie to pro wrote: I got this album and...its amazing i love it the heavy grungy sound of the guitar and the quick thrashy riffs along with Dave's growling voice (who sounds so much like Phil Anselmo its uncanny) this is going to be the turning point of their career-and maybe metal itself whats amazing is your ability to miss the fact that this is a pantera rip off.
    what current netal band hasn't riped off PANTERA?????
    MarkoakaNiggaK
    if they are a pantera rip off then they are pretty good one...poeple miss the fact that they write their own songs and like pantera they evolved from a hardcore band to a metal band that just kept the groove from hardcore so no wonder they sound similar....
    axeslinger0u812
    seems kind of religious in nature. with the "meek will inherit the earth" type of message. ones who are being put down will rise over the ones who are doing the put...downing. I don't know. I like the cd though. some sweet guitar work and good songwriting on the bands part.
    zackk
    the people in this band are like an hour away from where i live
    MikeD91
    what current metal band hasn't riped off PANTERA?????
    operaterxrayter
    whats amazing is your ability to miss the fact that this is a pantera rip off.