Venom & Tears Review

Throwdown: Venom & Tears
Release Date: Aug 7, 2007
Label: Trustkill
Genres: Alternative Metal, Heavy Metal
Venom And Tears is absolutely savage. It is crafted masterfully, from beginning to end.
 8.9
 8.7
 9.1
review (1) 16 comments vote for this album:
Venom & Tears Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 15, 2007

Sound: Throwdown is on the very verge of what the fore-fathers of metal/thrash/hardcore have built for them; Greatness. Opening with "Holy Roller," the pummeling, gnarling and thrashy guitar work done by Mark Choiniere clearly sets foot to the rest of the album. With more experiments into solo's and fast paced (some time even Dimebeg influenced) finger work, this is truly the most prolific benchmark on the record an their career. Also, aside from Mark's amazing guitar work, we lay waste to Dave Peters brute hardcore voice, that sets the tone for the angst that is the "Hardcore Scene." Much like Pantera's early records we find amazing thrashy, hardcore riffs with atmospheric drum work. This is metal's new coming, be prepared. // 9

Lyrics: Dave Peters should be given the credit he deserves, on tracks "Day Of The Dogs" and "Wieght Of The World" he clearly emphasizes the life of a true hardcore brute. With lines like " Nobody said this wouldn't end in tears/ but I refuse to live a cowards life/ guided, guarded by fear/ it wont be long/ the dog will have his day & I will say f--k you all." If anyone has been to a hardcore show or live the life of a true hardcore "thug" will understand Dave's words of wisdom on how we could keep getting put down, but the day will come for your enemy. There is so much more to the lyrics with past mistakes and the life Throwdown lives as "Straight Edge" enthusists. It's all there, it's just a matter of of looking, in your own heart. // 8

Overall Impression: Too date, this is Throwdown's defining moment into the world of metal music. Falling away from trends and feeling what they are meant for, Throwdown has a certified masterpiece on their hands. In closing, just think if Damebag was back, I have an odd feeling he would be a happy camper with this little Orange County threshold of brutality. // 9

Comments