A City By The Light Divided review by Thursday

• Released: May 2, 2006
Thursday: A City By The Light Divided

Thursday effectivly redefined the post-hardcore/alt rock genre with Full Collapse. War All The Time was similar to FC. However this album is much more different the those two. City By A Light Divided keeps their traditional build up in songs but throws in nice guitar parts and keyboard parts which really are quite unique. There are a lot of sythaciser's used on the album but it sounds really good. We Shall Overcome, Runnning In The Rain, Counting 54321, and Telegraph Avenue Kiss really highlight their new use of sound. Sugar In Sacrament keeps that traditional scream/singing sound from Full Collapse which is good to see that they kept some of their roots on the album. Thursday seemed to really let their minds run free on this album, and perhaps no track describe's this more than Running In The Rain, the build up to the chorus is incredible and Geoff's lyrics just ring of sincerity.

Geoff seemed to hold back a bit on the screaming on this album and instead let his vocal range help to build the songs up. That was a really intresting thing and the more you listen to the album the more you'll probably apprecite how good of a singer he is. His lyrics are as sincere as ever, perhaps the best thing about Geoff's lyrics is the fact he use's personal events in the songs, it really plays into songs well and the listener can really connect with him. This album even has some optimism in songs like We Shall Overcome, that was a great new thing to see from Thursday.

This album takes time to grow on you. It doenst have as much edginess as the previous albums, but the sound still is similar and Geoff Rickey's voice is at best on this album. After War All The Time hardcore/emo bands emerged all over the place, in a way on this album Thursday has actually pushed themselves away from that label, and the music is more alternative/progressive. I found that espically impressive, because they risked a lot with this album, however it paided off. It is one of the best albums of 2006/07, it's worth the money.

Morningview
    pigmaggots
    Half of these reviews are awful. I don't mind that it's someones opinion, but when they are written badly aswell, well, just, jesus.
    danceandpretend
    Morningview wrote: What. the . hell? If you liked Thursday for their screaming, you obviously have no concept of what good music is all about. Geoff's lyrics are near genius on the album. Big deal, he doesnt scream much here. For me his appeal is his original singing voice, as opposed to his far more generic sounding screaming moments. Songs like The lvoersong Writer and Autumn Leaves Revisited are a whole new thing for Thursday, and personally I feel they pull it off. And that's an understatement. Having seen them perform this newest material live, twice, I can say without hesitation that A City By The Loght Divided contains some of their best work.
    Kudos. I feel the same way. I've been listening to Thursday for a long time and they're one of my favorite bands. I give them all the credit for trying something new and i hope they aren't afraid to try new stuff in the future.