Full Collapse review by Thursday

• Released: Apr 10, 2001
Thursday: Full Collapse

The drums to the second track, "Understanding in a Car Crash" on Thursday's sophomore album, Full Collapse, are incredibly sophisticated. The simple yet impressive guitars on the album's ninth track, "Standing On the Edge of Summer," (which the lead vocalist and talented songwriter, Geoff Rickly, wrote for his dying Grandmother) are enough to move any becoming-fan of Thursday off the couch and into their swimming pool to drown themselves for not listening to Thursday and the unbelievable talent the band withholds sooner. The basic sound of Thursday's in indefinite, though most would guess hard-rock/indie/post-punk. All in all, the music is amazing, with every trimmed guitar piece by guitarists Steve Pedulla and Tom Keeley, every balanced bass line, and every confusing, though perfect and clap-able drum beat.

Geoff Rickly is one of the most profound lyricist in music, today. Track number three, "Concealer," smears its fast-paced beginning into its emotionally draining ending with the lines "You stopped the rain / And then you turned around and tore my life in two / Just like the picture / That once hung on the wall in the room that we used to share. "Rickly is the only hard-rock lyricist who can move me with his lyrics, alone. If you've never heard any of Thursday's songs, look up the lyrics to track six, "Cross Out the Eyes." One of the keys to being a good writer or lyricist is putting as much of yourself into your work as you want people to take out of your work, and Rickly cartainly lives by this rule. The lines "We can rise on the wings of the dove / See blue skies getting caught in a trail of all this smoke / We can rise like candles in the dark" should be enough to tell you about that rule. Thursday, if anything, should be known for Rickly's lyrical talents which are certainly highly underrated and under-appreciated.

Full Collapse is one of my favourite CDs of all time. I don't usually say that for modern bands, either. Many of you may not consider them modern, they have been out for a while. I highly recommend this band, and certainly encourage you to check them out at their site www.thursday.net or www.fullcollapse.com.