No Devolucion review by Thursday

• Released: Apr 12, 2011
Thursday: No Devolucion

Upon listening to the first track on Thursday's latest record No Devolucion, I almost had to double-check that I was listening to the correct band. What you'll hear on the sixth studio album is a huge leap away from the screamo or emo labels that often get associated with the New Jersey band. There are a few straightforward rock moments on No Devolucion, but the vast majority of the 12 tracks contain that oft-talked-about wall of sound and a production value that is pretty seamless. Call it maturity or whatever you'd like, but it's an impressive turn on Thursday's part and producer Dave Fridmann has crafted a pretty seamless album. You could easily deem No Devolucion as a lush, sonic record thanks to the layers upon layers of instrumentation (or at least that's the way it comes across) and rich tones. While plenty of Thursday's previous records are filled with fairly straightforward rock/screamo/post-hardcore tracks, No Devolucion is more akin to the dreaminess of a Death Cab For Cutie album. Well, at least for a good chunk of it. Fast to the End is a fitting opener because it delves into the many soundscapes that Thursday delves into through the record: ethereal, sonic, experimental, and intense. Definitely pay close attention to the solo work of Steve Pedulla and Tom Keeley on that particular track, as they take experimentation to the nth degree and the solos have a wacky-yet-intriguing quality. A bit part in the musical change is vocalist Geoff Rickly, who trades in his guttural screams for more of a pleasantly mellow style. In fact, at many points, the mix leans so heavily on the side of the instrumentation that you can barely make out the words that Rickly utters. That aspect just adds to the dreamy nature of it all, and Rickly's harmonies on A Darker Forest have never sounded better. That's not to say the album is completely devoid of screams, but the moments are very far and few between. Keyboardist Andrew Everding's talents are utilized in full, with the synth often sounding like a full-fledged orchestral string section. Drummer Tucker Rule has some of the most inspired moments on the CD, going for a primal vibe (Past and Future Ruins) in one minute and restrained-yet-somewhat-frantic (Magnets Caught In a Metal Heart) in the next. Thursday truly has transformed themselves into more of an ambient group with arrangements that seem almost grandiose at times. Open Quotes does feature more traditional riff work, but No Devolucion is about much more than cool licks and catchy hooks.

In many ways, the lyrics are quite a secondary feature of No Devolucion if only because Geoff Rickly's vocals are so muted and/or understated. But in the moments that the words do come to the forefront, they are of a much more mature variety than ever before. The main standout is the solemn, haunting Empty Glass, which features the reflective lines, I lost my wedding ring down the kitchen sing; Now it's glimmering somewhere far away; Now I'm sitting here in an empty glass; Waiting for the day to swallow me whole. There's a whole new dimension to Thursday's lyrical content that is both refreshing and quite apt for the musical undertones.

If you haven't been fond of Thursday's creative choices over the years, it's encouraged to give No Devolucion a listen. This is a band that has put quite a lot of thought into the musical arrangements and obviously don't feel like they need to fit some cookie cutter image from the past. Some might say it's a little too ambitious, but Thursday pulls it off well. No Devolucion may possibly alienate some fans, but it's highly likely that the band will gain newfound respect from plenty of newcomers at the same time.

Seref
    wolfstock wrote: When I saw Thursday I thought maybe it was a follow up to Rebecca Black's Friday
    No, that's Saturday.
    Macabre Lullaby
    Just picked this up, pretty stoked to listen to it. I love Thursday, and it sounds like they've done a fantastic job on the album.
    Space frog
    (War all the time was in '03 iirc, but whatever) Every time these guys get an album out, it sounds different from the last but has a unique signature and is amazing. This one didn't disappoint me at all, and it really doesn't sound like Muse or like anything else. They still have their own sound, but it changed a bit. They went more with a Love-Has-Led-Us-Astray-ish sound maybe, with moments that remind me of Running from the Rain or the slower bits on War All the Time... I love it. It just shows they write music for themselves, and I totally respect that, and it just happens to be awesome music. See, I listen to mostly harcore and metalcore music, but this is prolly my favorite band of all times because they are so creative, and their music is meaningful IMO.
    Holoogamooga
    jtv005 wrote: MusicVSgenres wrote: out of all the bands that started round then, only thrice, thursday and brand new remain healthy and respectable. rest have all either split up or descended into pure garbage by never evolving from their snotty lyrics and whining music. I Don't know, I was really disappointed with Daisy, from Brand New. But I think they just released that as a screw you to Interscope before leaving them. But three very good bands.
    I agree about Daisy, but it was also a change because Vinnie Accardi had a much larger input in the songwriting. Love the two albums before that, though, at least. Thrice sort of missed a beat with AI, but they're still awesome and I really admire the ideas behind Beggars. I haven't listened to Thursday in years, but I loved War All the Time back in 2005, and ACbtLD (Lovesong Writer and Autumn Leaves Revisited) was awesome. Hardly listened to Common Existence, but this sounds interesting. I've grown to appreciate clean vocals more than screams, so this should be great. It made me kind of sad when I'd talk about Thursday the band in high school and everyone would just look at me and say something snarky about the day of the week.
    cotton3434
    Listened to Thursday because of their split with Envy; they're pretty good. Post-Hardcore's not at all my thing, but they're great. Will have to give this a shot
    jtv005
    lethaldosage45
    I don't really like this one to be honest! Miss their older sound... this sounds like MUSE wannabe stuff. Thursday had their OWN sound before. Not anymore.
    kill it
    these guys are good but glassjaw was the best. will still definitely check this out.
    deadbeatmax
    Seesh, these guys have been on for years... I heard that they were busy recording a new album, then time flies to this album. Better go check it out. I don't mind if Thursday change their sound or style, but willing to create music they want to write and play.
    huevos
    Even though I'm not too keen on any of those 3 bands, I can listen to and enjoy their stuff (but I gotta say that Thursday's Full Collapse is immense). Might check this out.
    stndrdprcdre
    Really didn't think these guys were around still. Full Collapse was like the soundtrack of my early twenties. Don't listen to them anymore, but it's cool to see them still doing stuff, if only for nostalgic reasons.
    MusicVSgenres
    wolfstock
    Rocks ur Life
    I am personally a HUGE fan of Full Ccllapse, but No Devolucion sounds like a good listen. I can't wait to hear it.
    Holoogamooga
    Yeah, War All the Time was 2003, but I didn't find out about these guys until '05. I've listened to this album once and it didn't seem that great, but I'll let it grow on me. The one thing I really noticed is it doesn't seem to have the same energy as their previous releases, but I'm probably just missing it since it's a different style.