War All The Time review by Thursday

• Released: Sep 16, 2003
Thursday: War All The Time

Thursday is part of that "post hardcore" scene that is going around as of now, but there is something about them that sets them apart. Geoff Rickly switches almost instantaniously from his singing to screaming, and its a big part of Thursdays music that has the soft, melodic, sweet sounding vocals, to something really hardcore and raw. Thats what makes "War All The Time" its own sound in an allready existing category.

The lyrics are very imaginative in how Geoff Rickly can play with your mind with his writing style. For example, in Tomorrow I'll Be You, there is a line that says "Ever since I replaced the 'I' in 'Live' with an 'O', I can't remember who you are." I played with this in my head and came up with some differint meanings personally to me, rather than just spelling out the word 'love.' Geoff Rickly I think is a very strong vocalist, he is able to do agressive vocals, but at the same time, very sweet and melodic vocals. He has excellent range from going to high notes and low notes and adding in his murderous screams when the time is right.

I can honestly say, I can't compare this album to any others. Topic wise maybe, war and 9/11, but the way Thursday sounds, is like I said, something completely differint, yet sticking to a very wide genre that tons of bands are doing, and I think that's why Thursday stands out for me and remains one of my favorite bands of all time. Great work from Thursday, I'm not giving them a perfect 10, because I wouldn't give all the songs on here 5 out of 5, the lowest I would give is a 3, but I still love all these songs, and I would reccomend any Thursday album to people who like bands such as Thrice, Stutterfly, Story Of The Year, Funeral For A Friend and Rise Against.

Romulox13
    I am basically posting this comment to all of you saying any of the songs on war all the time have something to do with 9/11 or war in general. they don't. you are misleading people with your reviews by saying this. this album is about relationships between people and many of the lyrics are sprung from Geoff's personal experiences ( for example, Steps Ascending is about a friend whom he had a fight with then got shot and killed and he was never able to apologize to him.) Please do some research about the music before you start posting falacies about the music. And that has nothing to do with opinion, its a hard fact, straight from geoff's mouth as to what exactly these songs are about. So please in the future do some research. I know this is late in coming, but when I read these reviews, as a huge Thursday fan, it really made me angry that their songs were being belittled by people referencing them to things they have nothing to do with.
    Romulox13
    One other comment real quick... why is this cd listed as EMO? this isnt f**kin dashboard confessional or weezer.
    Modernmusich8er
    sorry to say this. I r eally don't ike Thursday, the singer is just godawful. They're good musicians, but the singing is just dreadful.