Hate Review

Thy Art Is Murder: Hate
Released: Oct 19, 2012
Genre: Deathcore
Label: Halfcut Records
"Hate" is the second studio album by Australian deathcore band Thy Art Is Murder.
 8.2
 8.3
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Hate Reviewed by: ryleycarlsen8, on february 25, 2015

Sound: Thy Art Is Murder has been around since 2006 and have evolved very much since that point in time. The sound in this album in my opinion is absolutely amazing. If you listen to "Infinite Death" EP and "The Adversary" it may sound a lot different and almost muffled kind of. But I don't know, you'll have to do it and see what I mean. Chris "CJ" McMahon is an amazing vocalist and I believe he deserves credit for this album. His lows are perfect and although I like the highs he does, I would like to see how hard he could push himself on the next album. The guitarists are outstanding. They're guitar tone fits this album and I wouldn't change anything about it. The drums are pounding and sound f--king amazing. Like when you're done with this album your ears will be pounding because of the drums haha. The only reason I'm giving it a 9 and not 10 is because of the bass. I hate to say it but there really isn't any cool bass parts. I love when death core make their bass pop, if you know what I mean. I'll go through the tracks:

01. "Reign of Darkness" - this track is an amazing opening track and of course a bad a-s breakdown. This will get you started and get your adrenaline going haha.

02. "The Purest Strain of Hate" - I love this one. I love when the band stops and lets CJ do one line of screaming because he sounds so f--king raw, it's dope.

03. "Vile Creations" - I didn't find anything where I was like, "holy sh-t, that's f--king awesome" but this is still an amazing track.

04. "Shadow of Eternal Sin" - I seriously love this song and is my favorite on the album. Its opening riff is evil and intense as f--k. The solo is bad a-s even though it's short. And the ending break down is one of my favorites on the album.

05. "Immolation" - this is my favorite. It kinda changes the tempo on the guitar which I really love, kinda reminds me of what Suicide Silence did with "Misleading Milligrams." It's f--king sick. And my favorite part is during the second verse, they have this cool arpeggio going in the back ground and it's so cool, I wish they put that in there more.

06. "Infinite Forms" - this song is pretty good. It kinda starts out with something creepy and evil like "Shadow of Eternal Sin." Good track.

07. "Dead Sun" - this song is f--king sick. Their guest singer is, Nico Webers (War From A Harlots Mouth). He does pretty good on this track but I feel like they should have gotten someone to make the song a little more melodic and had better highs.

08. "Gates of Misery" - every deathcore band has a song like this where it's just super fast and goes f--kin nuts haha. This song is cool if you like the devil XD

09. "Defective Breed" - this song is alright. I don't have anything bad to say about it but it's not anything special.

10. "Doomed From Birth" - this song is f--king sick. It basically talks about how everyone is f--ked from the beginning and there's no hope. I like how they got Joel Birch (The Amity Affliction) because I like his screams and it's just a cool way to end the album. // 9

Lyrics:

As for the lyrics. They really aren't anything that will change your perspective on life at all. Lyrics like:

"Repressed/
The darkness burns/
A fallen figure left to desecrate/
Exiled/
Absolved of the light I am the purest strain of hate/

Unholy savior/
Wretched conspiracies/
In the tyrant's hands/
Slaves you shall be"

Those lyrics are from "The Purest Strain of Hate." They aren't really anything to crazy. Even though I do think it's cool how he kind of speaks in a biblical sort of way but hates that kind of sh-t haha. Kind of ironic idk. Idc though, I'm a guitarist so I don't pay too much attention to the lyrics so haha. I love his vocals though and they definitely go with the music.

// 7

Overall Impression: I think that this album is their best yet and I can't wait to see what they come out with next! I think the 3 songs that stood out the most to me were, "Purest Strain of Hate," "Shadow of Eternal Sin" and "Immolation." the whole album I recommend but these are my favorite. The guitar work is bad a-s and I love all of it. The drums make me feel like I'm marching into battle haha, and the screams are amazing. I really wish the bass popped more but I have faith in the next album. If this were lost or stolen I would buy it on iTunes again, on CD, and vinyl again because this album is f--king amazing and I could listen to it all day. // 9

Comments