Infinite Death review by Thy Art Is Murder

• Released: Jan 1, 2008
Thy Art Is Murder: Infinite Death

Wow. That is the best way to describe the feeling I felt as soon as the first note hit my ears. This band has some serious talent at making music that is extremely heavy and fast while refraining from becoming muddy and murky and instead, achieving memorable passages that I find myself replaying in my head for the rest of the day. There sounds if deeply entrenched in the deathcore genre, however, it refrains from becoming too clich. When the inevitable happens, and they slip into moments of "clich" blast beats or breakdowns, you cannot help but forgive them because they do it so damn well. Each song has multiple riffs that make me want to loop the particular section over and over until iTunes freezes or my laptop runs out of battery. The transitions are near perfect and each breakdown will make you want to start a mosh pit in a nursing home. The drumming is thoroughly impressive in technicality and is perhaps the defining feature of the EP. The blast beat are strategically placed to accent the guitar and vocals perfectly, and set a magnificently violent mood for all the tracks. There is no reprieve from the carnage, it is a slaughterhouse all the way through. Overall, this EP has something special going on with its instrumentation, unfortunately, the same cannot be said about the lyrics.

The lyrics are the one thing that holds this EP back from becoming a true hit, the lyrics. If anything can be called clich on this record, it must be the lyrics, forget the ever present blasting and chug breakdowns. It seem as if the lyricist was trying his hardest to be a hate filled, misanthropic malcontent. And that is the problem, it is not organic. It comes of completely contrived and quite frankly, like a Whitechapel rip off. His vocals, however, are quite impressive. His shrieks are complimented perfectly in such a manner that would make the like of Trevor Strnad smile. Overall, the lyrics is the Achilles heel of the EP. Complete disaster is averted by the above average vocal capabilities of the singer.

Overall, this is a very good album. It would be great if the lyrical content migrated to a more organic feel, but nonetheless, still very much worth the 18 minutes it takes to listen to it. All 5 songs are exceptional and each one brings something to the table that makes the listening experience quite enjoyable. If I had to pick, the top 2 songs would be "Whore to a Chainsaw" and "Breeding Bacteria", they possess the full package required to have a successful song and then some. If this CD was stolen, I would replace it, although I cannot necessarily say I would purchase it.

Nor'Easterbass
    Ghrim
    yeah you listen to disturbed so your opinion is invalid! lolwut....
    FightEveryone
    Disturbed_EMG
    Not REALLY horrible. I probably could listen to em, but I wouldn't. Oh, and I thought they were pretty lame live.
    Disturbed_EMG
    RazorSharpAU
    Even thought the lyrics are a bit cliche'-y, I enjoy their EP, and they have definitely progressed a lot since the release of it, keen for the new album
    lp22luke
    FightEveryone wrote: When it comes to such an up-tempo band like this, lyrics don't even play a part. As long as the melody is there, it's all good.
    I am jealous of you! haha, I wish I could approach music like that, but lyrics are really big deal for me, often to my annoyance, such as this case.
    FightEveryone
    Dregen wrote: Nor'Easterbass wrote: dude u listen to disturbed, stfu. for someone who actually likes death metal/deathcore, this band is sick. you can look forward to alot of good stuff outta them i nthe future. What's wrong with them? They're an alright band. Nothing great, but if you still judge someone just because they happen to like one band you don't like, then you're a dick, to be blunt. Guess what? I enjoy listening to Disturbed, Green Day, and Three Days Grace, but I still like this band and others like BTBAM, Misery Signals, ABR, Converge, and lots of other heavy shit you would consider to be more 'cool'. So yeah, all in all, **** you.
    I apologize for the trip-post first off. But @Nor, you have to understand that just because every band you listen to is ridiculously heavy or what not, everybody has a different taste and opinion. There are fans apart from the die hard that are still going to support them, see there shows and buy there merch. Regardless of weather or not they stumbled upon them, was told by word of mouth, or is actually a fan of the style along with radio rock (not likely,) but I digress. It's not right to go on a website and put other people down because of there taste (apart from trolling of course, which I don't really see this as the case.)
    Dregen
    Thrash.aholic
    Disturbed_EMG wrote: Nor'Easterbass wrote: dude u listen to disturbed, stfu. for someone who actually likes death metal/deathcore, this band is sick. you can look forward to alot of good stuff outta them i nthe future. It makes me laugh when people make assumptions like that based on my usernames. I USED TO listen to them. But, hey I'll leave you to making assumptions and totally not recommend you to go to my page and look at what I listen to now, rather than look like a total douche.
    BTW yer page still says you like Disturbed.
    Thrash.aholic
    Hah, i was bored in class so i started thinking about this band and drumming on my desk- weird that i see it as soon as i get home from school. But anyways, I saw this review on here like a month ago and that's how i fought out about this band, so i think there's a very similar review to this album that also made the front page; but oh well this band is fantastic and I actually love the lyrics because they're just straight forward, 'sluts will be sluts' lyrics; perfect for when you're mad at a girl or just need some heavy music.
    caleb69
    Yeah i agree about the lyrics, they're a bit tryhardy. that said, it's a great EP. My personal favourite songs are probably the title track and parasitic autopsy