The Adversary review by Thy Art Is Murder

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Jul 16, 2010
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 8
  • Overall Impression: 7
  • Reviewer's score: 7.7 Good
  • Users' score: 7 (36 votes)
Thy Art Is Murder: The Adversary
1

Sound — 8
For me, I like my death metal to be first and foremost extremely aggressive, secondly it's gotta be fast with insane rhythm/lead guitars and drums. And the vocals have gotta be really low and guttural with insanely brutal lyrical concepts. This new band Thy Art Is Murder are a great example of what modern death metal is today. The Adversary [Ihsahn, formerly of Emperor has an album of the same title] is the band's first full length. The band's sound is very fast and aggressive with occassional breakdowns, thus the reason some critics may consider this type of music to be deathcore. However, I don't see the need to pigeon-hole this band to such a feeble genre as I don't see anything 'core' about it. It's just death metal the way it has evolved over the years. TAIM has a very evil and almost Deicide-esque type sound with again, the occassional breakdown/s during songs.

Lyrics — 8
When you buy this CD and read the lyrics closely, they are very anti-christian and very graphic but also very creative with these concepts. Such examples of this is the very atmospheric opening instrumental 'Unholy Sermons', 'Flesh Oracle', 'The False Prophet' and 'Engineering the Antichrist'. The lyrics definately seem to fit with the music and very well structured. TAIM's vocalist Chris McMahon's guttural vocals sound like a mix of Deicide and Nile with fairly high screams as backup on occassions. Again, they sound so evil and so good. So his performance on this album should definately be applauded.

Overall Impression — 7
Compared to most of the modern death metal out there today. The Adversary is definately an album I would recommend to people. For me, I call it just death metal as I am not fond of the creation of other stupid subgenres like 'deathcore' or 'deathgrind' or whatever. Just call it by the proper term. The most impressive pieces on this album in my opinion would be 'Soldiers of Immortality', 'Laceration Penetration', 'The False Prophet', 'Engineering the Antichrist' and the short instrumental 'Requiem'. All of which deserve to be listened to multiple times. I said in the beginning of this review that I liked my death metal fast, aggressive, the vocals to be low and guttural. And that's exactly what this album is for me. I won't use the word 'hate' but I do believe there are a few filler tracks on this album but, this definately is a good album. If it were stolen/lost I would buy it again like all the metal CD's I buy. So to conclude, TAIM's 'The Adversary' is a good album for all death metal fans and I implore that people should check it out.

25 comments sorted by best / new / date

    dA Shack
    You didn't mention that they are from Australia, that's gotta count for something..right?! haha. Have seen this band many times at small hall gigs and they GO NUTS. I don't like death metal at all, but I really love the amazing energy they bring to every gig they play. WHORE TO A CHAINSAW! lol
    Disturbed_EMG
    abbydaddy03 wrote: Wish I knew what you thought, I did the same thing. I don't know s___ about the genre but they sound very stereotypical to me. Maybe they're awesome live but how many people will see them live? It's the album that has to carry the band.
    I did. And yeah, pretty stereotypical. I disagree however, how are people going to know the album exists if they don't play live. Plus, what's the point of being in a band and not play shows, or at the very least even have the intention of playing shows. That scene is basically fuelled by the live shows, they're very important. Why fill an album with breakdown after breakdown if you're not gonna let people mosh/headbang to it?
    krvolok
    LightxGrenade wrote: You know sometimes I feel like I could post a cannibal corpse or a napalm death song and as long as I claimed that it was from a new band with a name like "death of my misery" or something people would just immediately go "oh it's -core, for sure" and write it off as just some generic boring band. At least that's the way I feel when I read 3/4 of the comments for metal reviews...that being said, I agree with whoever said that their EP was better.
    Epic fail. The fact of the matter is that there are -core bands that wan to pass themselves as metal but one can distinguish between a death/metalcore band and a proper metal band with a -core name
    heartagram256
    I really liked this album due to the fact that it's HEAVY AS FUCK. However, I will admit I was a slight bit disappointed. BUT when a band puts out an EP as good as Infinite Death was, it's highly unlikely they'll put out anything that good again. As I said, I love how heavy it is, and to me, it's much more death metal than the EP was, but I doubt they'll ever write another 'Whore To A Chainsaw' or 'Infinite Death'. The lyrics on this album seem much better though. Infinite Death had some sick parts that stuck out to the listener ( such as "Enter to the mind of a psychopath" from Infinite Death) but most of the lyrics were extremely cheesy.
    Echoplex
    LightxGrenade wrote: You know sometimes I feel like I could post a cannibal corpse or a napalm death song and as long as I claimed that it was from a new band with a name like "death of my misery" or something people would just immediately go "oh it's -core, for sure" and write it off as just some generic boring band. At least that's the way I feel when I read 3/4 of the comments for metal reviews...that being said, I agree with whoever said that their EP was better.
    You would probably recognize that it isn't 'core when you don't hear breakdowns. Those are what ruin deathcore for me (besides some of the fans, of course).
    Thrash.aholic
    This bands really good for deathcore or whatever it actually just feels like regular death metal to me, i love ***** to a chainsaw.
    abbydaddy03
    siege_1302 wrote: If you aren't sure if they're -core or not, try this: search for one of their songs on youtube, then see for yourself. It's what I'm about to do. Based on this review, I'll give them a listen.
    Wish I knew what you thought, I did the same thing. I don't know s___ about the genre but they sound very stereotypical to me. Maybe they're awesome live but how many people will see them live? It's the album that has to carry the band.
    EpiExplorer
    LightxGrenade wrote: You know sometimes I feel like I could post a cannibal corpse or a napalm death song and as long as I claimed that it was from a new band with a name like "death of my misery" or something people would just immediately go "oh it's -core, for sure" and write it off as just some generic boring band. At least that's the way I feel when I read 3/4 of the comments for metal reviews...that being said, I agree with whoever said that their EP was better.
    People know all about Napalm Death and CC. So that idea wouldn't work at all.
    LightxGrenade
    You know sometimes I feel like I could post a cannibal corpse or a napalm death song and as long as I claimed that it was from a new band with a name like "death of my misery" or something people would just immediately go "oh it's -core, for sure" and write it off as just some generic boring band. At least that's the way I feel when I read 3/4 of the comments for metal reviews...that being said, I agree with whoever said that their EP was better.
    DudeI'mOnAlesse
    siege_1302 wrote: If you aren't sure if they're -core or not, try this: search for one of their songs on youtube, then see for yourself. It's what I'm about to do. Based on this review, I'll give them a listen.
    someone with some sense finally
    connorhxcchaos
    Yeah Thy Art Is Murder are my fave band, they absolutely go off live and overall you can see how musically talented they are. and theyre all real nice blokes.
    ScorianVaseras
    This EP is kind of embarrassing. The drums are so blatantly altered, you may as well have just programmed them from the start. I wish bands like this could just choose what they wanted to do; Deathcore or Death Metal. Half-assing both genres just doesn't work.
    Disturbed_EMG
    krvolok wrote: Disturbed_EMG wrote: The band's sound is very fast and aggressive with occassional breakdowns If you ever seen them live, you'll know how wrong that statement is. Too many or too few breakdowns?
    There's way more than "occasional" I wouldn't quite say there's too many for me personally, I love a good breakdown. It does get a little repetitive though. :\
    zbt3
    Their EP was amazing, i bought it after hearing the first thirty seconds of I'll Show You God, but this album sounds generic. the vocals were the same for every song and the guitar sounded the same in every song. 5/10
    siege_1302
    If you aren't sure if they're -core or not, try this: search for one of their songs on youtube, then see for yourself. It's what I'm about to do. Based on this review, I'll give them a listen.
    krvolok
    Disturbed_EMG wrote: The band's sound is very fast and aggressive with occassional breakdowns If you ever seen them live, you'll know how wrong that statement is.
    Too many or too few breakdowns?
    Disturbed_EMG
    The band's sound is very fast and aggressive with occassional breakdowns
    If you ever seen them live, you'll know how wrong that statement is.
    krvolok
    EpiExplorer wrote: So stereotypically deathcore, I laughed when I listened to it.
    On their My space they put death metal as the genre however metal-archives.com don't list them at all thus they're deathcore.
    DrBaumann
    Well, their EP was awesome, but now that they have a new singer (who was, to me, the "awesome" part of the band) I'm not sure if I'll like it.
    krvolok
    Echoplex wrote: The band's sound is very fast and aggressive with occassional breakdowns, thus the reason some critics may consider this type of music to be deathcore.I haven't listened to this, but I usually assume anything with several breakdowns (as well as a name this long) is some sort of 'core. I might check this out, as the review makes it sound interesting.
    It's deathcore and as deathcore it's semi-aggressive and semi-listenable semi-everything.
    Echoplex
    The band's sound is very fast and aggressive with occassional breakdowns, thus the reason some critics may consider this type of music to be deathcore.
    I haven't listened to this, but I usually assume anything with several breakdowns (as well as a name this long) is some sort of 'core. I might check this out, as the review makes it sound interesting.