The Adversary review by Thy Art Is Murder

• Released: Jul 16, 2010
Thy Art Is Murder: The Adversary

The way I like my Death Metal/Deathcore to be is fast distorted riffs, scratchy bass, fast drums and low vocals. For deathcore these songs should contain a breakdown or two. Thy Art Is Murder are a perfect example of what this is. It is basically brutal Death Metal (JFAC, Decapitated, Nile etc..) with breakdowns in the middle and end of most of the songs on this album. In the heavy riffs that lead into breakdown the guitarists change from side to side with the open riffs. You will see what I mean when you listen to the song "Laceration Penetration". The start is a perfect example. Thy Art Is Murder are most likely what you would call - The latest version of Death Metal which is basically what they are. They seem to heavy to be considered Deathcore. But I guess you will have to listen to this awesome album to figure that out for yourself.

The lyrics are extremely brutal stuff. I advise you not to read them if you are a Christian or are easily shocked. Cause they can be disturbing. Thy Art Is Murder seem to be a very "ANTI" band. Not quite Satanic band but are very close to it. The lyrics fit in very well with the music being played, considering the riffs have some sort of a heavy evil sound to them in most parts of the songs. C.J MacMahon has done an extremely good job of putting vocals to these songs. He tends to stay low which is what you want to be a heavy band such as TAIM.

The Adversary can compare to most albums of the genre. It is in my opinion the best deathcore album released this year. It sounds better than Ruination by Job For A Cowboy. The most impressive songs from the album are Laceration Penetration, Furnace of Hate, The Adversary, Requiem ( a lead in to Cowards Throne), Cowards Throne, Soldiers of Immoratility and of course Engineering The Anti-Christ. I love how the breakdowns are portrayed. They sound absolutely awesome. Fast and heavy. I don't like how some of the songs sound nearly the same EG - Flesh Oracle and Engineering the Anitchrist. I would buy it again definately.

Metalcore Jero
    This IMO, just doesn't compare to they're EP. 'Infinite Death' just seems miles ahead of where they are now, and the old vocalist absolutely ruins CJ. No offense to CJ at all cause he's still an awesome vocalist, but the old one is so much better
    puremetal11
    krvolok wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: So stereotypically deathcore, I laughed when I listened to it. On their My space they put death metal as the genre however metal-archives.com don't list them at all thus they're deathcore.
    Thats complete bullshit. Deathcore is not a genre. It is a lazy excuse posers like you use as your reasoning behind not liking bands that are at least good if not great.