The Adversary review by Thy Art Is Murder

• Released: Jul 16, 2010
Thy Art Is Murder: The Adversary

I really have never heard a band change so much between releases. They seem to me to have turned from a bad ripoff of Suicide Silence to a really solid death metal/deathcore band. It's a hell of a change. One of the most standout aspects of this record is how unbelievably fast it is. Tempos are around 250-300 bpm on most songs, and even the breaks aren't exactly slow, around 100-130bpm. They're also not repetitive, which is nice to hear considering how sleep inducing they can be. The real breakdowns are few and far between, which is good seeing as they should be used sparingly. The guitar playing is pretty good, if nothing amazing. The solos are nice to hear, considering they actually sound like solos rather than some half-baked attempt at a solo. I'd compare it to Decapitated, Suffocation, Cryptopsy and Dying Fetus in terms of sound. In terms of production: the guitar tone is absolutely massive sounding - and is the best part of the production. The drums are pretty clearly triggered and the bass is nowhere to be found, but overall the record sounds very solid.

The lyrics are appropriately gory and anti-religious, just as you'd expect from a death metal band. They're not the most original lyrics ever, but they're well put together. CJ, the vocalist, has a very solid death growl comparable to Frank Mullen (Suffocation) and Glen Benton (Deicide). His high shrieks aren't very core-esque, but instead take on a more black metal like tone. There are very low gutturals at times (most notably in "Laceration Penetration") which aren't bad but at the same time aren't great. Sadly, he's nearly unintelligible without reading the lyrics along to the song.

Compared to their previous release ("Infinite Death") this album is a HUGE step up in quality. It's a well crafted slab of death metal, almost entirely eschewing the "deathcore" label entirely in favor of a straight up brutal death metal sound. The only parts I truly dislike are the rather pointless intro and the less-than-amazing production. If I were to lose the album, I'm pretty sure I'd buy it again. It's a pretty solid album. Recommended listening: - Soldiers Of Immortality - Laceration Penetration - The Adversary - Requiem/Coward's Throne