Róka Hasa Rádió review by Thy Catafalque

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Thy Catafalque: Róka Hasa Rádió

This album is pretty unique in it's styling, has the dark atmosphere of black metal but with some keyboard melodies that often border on cheesiness, which isn't helped by the sounds used for them. Some of the songs are quite heavy with sections that upon first listen sound like pure noise, others that sound like cheesy music from space and parts that even sound like pop music. It's quite varied to say the least. The band is Hungarian, so despite there being an apparent concept to the story - I don't actually know what that is. Something about a Radio and the Universe. It's quite hard to describe the actual sound of the band without you having heard it - but like all Avant-Garde music it's mostly a love or hate kind of thing. The instrumentation aside from keyboards and synths can be a bit unclear at times, the bass and guitars are very fuzzy and over distorted whilst the drums can be a bit hard to hear sometimes. However, they contrast the keys very well - although at times the simplicity can be tedious.

There are many different vocal styles used on this album. Each and every one of them is perfect. The calm female singing is so sweet it almost sounds like pop music, the rasps and other noises sound awesome and unique at the same time - despite not being the best I've heard. There's also some clean male singing which is great in it's own way too. As I previously mentioned, the band is Hungarian, so it's hard for me to comment on the lyrics. However, using google translate to get a rough idea, I can tell you easily: The lyrics are ridiculous. Űrhajk Makn's lyrics are about wizards as yellow as the moon invading from space or something. Seriously, Tams Ktai, what were you thinking? Granted, so long as you don't understand them the sound of the syllables is fun to listen to, so it works in my ears.

I can't think of a single album similar, even their previous efforts were quite different. The best songs would be the first Szervetlen and third Kd Utnam. The atmosphere is very consistent throughout the album and Tams Ktai is hopefully on the way to a promising career, but this is definitely no Magnum Opus. The fourth song Űrhajk Makn seems to have thought 'this sound is unprecedented, it must be included on the album!' because of the majority of metalheads ignorance towards pop music and thus not realising that it actually sounds like cheesy pop in the middle of an experimental black metal album. If it we're lost or stolen I'd probably buy it again eventually, but other Avant Garde albums are higher up on my list than this album. Listen before buying - hell, if nothing else it could act as a link straight from pop music to black metal!

metallicafan616
    brother jim wrote: With all my respect, you have completely misunderstood the lyrics of the album (or at least Űrhajk Makn). Actually using Google Translate to translate poetry is not a good idea as it simply sucks even in the case of the most elementar texts. So summerizing the lyrics ridiculuos according to some crap Google Translate job is just not fair. However you have to be Hungarian to fully understand the cultural references and background of the words and I guess this is why they have chosen their mother language and not English as everyone else. The lyrics and poems of Tams Ktai are highly respected in Hungary, he published even a book of poems years ago. Just wanted you to know about it, no offence here.
    Could you care to explain what the lyrics actually mean in that song? And glad i'm not the only fan on UG!
    brother jim
    All right, I try to translate the lyrics. It might seem pretty childish, and in a way it is, but I think this poem is about the childhood of that guy, growing up in this small Hungarian town, called Mak. The names of the streets are actually all real, those streets do exist there and if you ask any Hungarians about this song, all of them would find it charming. Spaceships in Mak A street of clattering poppyseed-houses, old town, wind singing through its crooked towers, chimnies purring in Casketgarden Street, those trees of Linden-tree Street are slumbering. If you leave for Gardener Street, just take your umberellas with you, in the depth of Ice Street, the quince-apple, look, falling, just falling to become jam by night, yellow, yellow, yellow just like the moon. I got lost in Planet Street with my spaceship on the October of that nice '83, even though lights are on for spacecrafts from Greatstar Street towards Moon Street. Something like this. Not a typical metal theme, I guess this is why this song has absolutely nothing to do with metal, very wisely. The whole album is pretty far from generic metal both musicwise and concept. I hope I could help you to understand this CD a little bit better. Yes, if you are not Hungarian, you'll lose a chunky bit of its essence unfortunately.
    metallicafan616
    brother jim wrote: Something like this. Not a typical metal theme, I guess this is why this song has absolutely nothing to do with metal, very wisely. The whole album is pretty far from generic metal both musicwise and concept. I hope I could help you to understand this CD a little bit better. Yes, if you are not Hungarian, you'll lose a chunky bit of its essence unfortunately.
    They still seem fairly ridiculous, but i think that was the aim of the song. And it's uniqueness makes it one of the best on their really
    EpiExplorer
    Its wierd. I dont get how all these 'post-black metal' bands try to be totally unique (and for the most part, are) but then ruin it with a really shoddy recording. The vocals are okay, the cleans could have been mixed louder. Still prefer Arcturus.
    brother jim
    Well, as far as I know, this album was recorded, mixed and mastered on a simple home PC...