Valdr Galga Review

Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Valdr Galga Reviewed by: aenimafist, on july 05, 2008

Sound: Thyrfing is a Swedish viking and folk metal band. These bands are always interesting because it seems as though none of them sound the same, ever. Thyrfing's main attraction for attention is the keyboard and synth sounds as the lead instrument most of the time. Sometimes the keyboards play the same thing as the guitar and they overlap quite well. Peter Lof, keyboardist, also has a tendancy to change his sound in the middle of songs to make an eerie sound in a verse or chorus but then goes back to the strings thing. This band has both slow and fast metal parts and the best example of the fast metal is in the combo of the first two songs. This band has a very original sound to them and the closest anything comes to their sound that I have heard so far would be Finntroll and they aren't that similar. // 10

Lyrics: Being that this is viking metal we are talking about here. The vocal style could rage from being Amon Amarth death growling or black metal screeching. We got the screeching here folks. Kind of unfortunate in my eyes because I think something more deathy or like In Flames would sound better. The best thing involved with the vocals though would have to be the lyrics. As I have repeated several times: viking metal! The lyrics are the cornerstone intense battle lyrics! // 8

Overall Impression: Thyrfing is like nothing I have heard before and I think originality really does a band justice. Viking and black metal don't have the greatest market in the world but I strongly believe there is a place for bands such as Thyrfing, Finntroll, Eluveite (or however you spell it) and so on. Firever, The first two couplet songs, Decietful and Valdr Galga have to be the best songs on this record. The melodicness of this record is astounding compared to the overall feel of the music. The recording quality was also much better tha that of their self-titled debut. // 9

Comments