Young And Courageous review by Tides of Man

• Released: Feb 4, 2014
Tides of Man: Young And Courageous

Tides Of Man is a fairly well known band in the progressive rock scene. But with the departure of lead vocalist, Tilian Pearson, the future seemed to have been very unknown for the rest of the band. TOM did, however, require a keyboardist, Spencer Bradham. Who knows how much time they really spent on the making of this album, but they took a different approach this time, and continued without a vocalist, and in turn, we now have an all instrumental post-rock band, while some will still call it progressive rock.

Of course, this being an all instrumental band, you will find zero lyrics on this album, but instead a sudden ease of mind, as these songs fulfill your mind. The drumming fills up some key parts quite well. "All the Years," for example, the very beginning of the song has quite an outstanding drum fill that soon continues in with keyboard. The keyboards represent a sort of happiness feeling. A feeling, such as walking on water or conquering the world. Guitar parts are what you should expect from a post-rock band.

It may be difficult to say who I'd recommend this album to, but this album should definitely be able to suit just about any crowd. Mogwai came to my mind first for comparisons. And So I Watch You From Afar can be another comparison, but all in all, this is quite an outstanding record that I was totally not expecting to come from a band who once had a lead vocalist. They pretty much abandoned the whole progressive rock style that they once had with Tilian, and turned themselves into an all instrumental post-rock outfit. All in all, they really exceeded my expectations here. Well done.

keno444
    I agree, it's harder to write about instrumental albums. I'll have to say even with the departure of Tilian Pearson, the band created one emotionally impactful album! If you like this band, please check out my music blog: http://bit.ly/1EqEbNI
    Skyvalve2012
    Needs to be a bit more descriptive on the songs, but this is a good review anyway
    vppark2
    Sorry, this is the first time that I have reviewed an all instrumental album. Kinda hard to really describe, I guess.