Can Our Love... Review

artist: Tindersticks date: 07/30/2003 category: compact discs
Tindersticks: Can Our Love...
Released: May 21, 2001
Genre: Rock
Tones: Sophisticated, Stylish, Sensual, Passionate, Plaintive, Somber, Dramatic
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Indie Rock, Chamber Pop
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Can Our Love... Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 30, 2003

Overall Impression: Tindersticks are not for everybody. The music they swirl is most certainly melancholy, but not at all depressing. Lead singer, Stuart Staples has the most quivering, fragile, mumbling, vibrating baritone you are ever likely to hear. His voice sounds like it is about to crack at any moment and that sound, even though it will be beautiful, will break your heart. And it will sink right into the music, which sounds a lot like something Burt Bacharach might come up with, if he were less distant. I remember getting into the Tindersticks years ago, back in 1994, when there was a lull in Nick Cave releases, and Stuart Staples was a common antidote for such occasions (back before we had a more subdued Nick Cave). And I remember liking them, but eventually getting tired of them. This album, Can Our Love... changes those determinations. It is clear that both the Tindersticks and myself have matured enough over the resulting seven years. I think it's really a perfect album. It's the kind you can play on a rainy day, and cook pasta so that the windows steam up, and let it play over and over. Every now and then, repeat songs #4 and #8 (Can Our Love... and Chilitetime) because they are worth repeating. // 10

Comments