The Something Rain Review

artist: Tindersticks date: 03/08/2012 category: compact discs
Tindersticks: The Something Rain
Released: Feb 20, 2012
Genre: Chamber Pop, Indie Rock, Alternative Pop
Label: Lucky Dog Recordings (UK), Constellation Records (US)
"The Something Rain" by Tindersticks is a very unique sounding album, which mostly sounds like the depressed, dreary music. This album definitely isn't a hard rocker, but if you enjoy the 60's classic rock music, then you shouldn't have difficulty finding something you like on this album.
 4.4
 3.7
review (1) 10 comments vote for this album:
The Something Rain Featured review by: UG Team, on march 08, 2012

Sound: As the year progresses, it seems that more and more classic bands are coming together, writing music, and releasing new albums to try and bring back the long lost rock sound that's been missing for the past few years of pop. The Indie rock band Tindersticks have reunited once again to help make this an even truer fact. "The Something Rain" is the band's overall 9th studio album, and everything from the band's name and sound is very... Unique. Tindersticks may not be a common, well known band, but you may have heard some of their music without even knowing it. The band is most infamous, especially in the United Kingdom, for their work in movie soundtracks. The band's music has been used in movies and television including "The Sopranos", "Eastborne And Down", and most recently, "Winter's Bone". That being said, the band's new album sounds just like a "Twilight" saga soundtrack.

When I say that this album sounds like a "Twilight" saga soundtrack, there is absolutely no exaggeration. The entire album is composed of undistorted and repetitive guitar chords, a slow to moderate pace, and very faint sounding vocals. The best examples off this album include "Chocolate", "Show Me Everything", and "A Night So Still". Despite the majority of slow paced tracks, the album contains a few upbeat, fast paced, light rockers. Songs such as "This Fire Of Autumn" have a nice rhythm and great acoustic guitar playing, and tracks like "Frozen" have a faster beat and are a little more enjoyable.

Even though the album sounds as if it came right off of "Twilight", that doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing. I found that listening to the album was very relaxing, and I could find myself enjoying the album a little more as I continued to listen to it. This album definitely isn't a hard rocker, but if you enjoy the 60's classic rock music like I do, then you shouldn't have difficulty finding something you like on this album. // 5

Lyrics: The sound of this album is best described as being a very light rock album with a moderately slow beat. On rare occasions, the tempo will pick up to a gentle pace with some classic guitar thrown in, which is one of the few things that helps keep this album alive. I feel that singer Stuart Staples doesn't let his true ability come out on most of the songs on this album, as he mostly sings in very quiet, almost inaudible tones with an incredibly nasally sound. // 4

Overall Impression: "The Something Rain" by Tindersticks is a very unique sounding album, which mostly sounds like the depressed, dreary music most know and dislike (or love) from the "Twilight" saga. However, despite the bizarre sounding music, I feel that this was a smart move by the band, as "Twilight" is incredibly popular and probably will give the band recognition from the millions of die-hard fans and thus millions of dollars. This album contains many songs, but the most impressive songs off this album have to be:

1. This Fire Of Autumn
2. Chocolate

If you enjoy the lighter, 60's Indie rock music or are a great fan of "Twilight", I highly recommend that you pick up this album. Even if you're not, you still might want to but this album, too. Maybe you'll enjoy it more than I did. // 6

- William Clark (c) 2012